Being Close to the Coast


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 17th 2012
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Entrance01 Entrance01 Entrance

The entrance to the game reserve- with a big warning about tortoises.
Geo: -27.6358, 32.2092

This morning we were woken by the alarm at 3:30am. We quickly finished packing and at 4am we said goodbye to Paul's parents and then headed off for our little holiday. We were spending two nights atMkhuze Game Reserve and then 9 nights at Isimangalis Wetland Park- finally going to the beach again! It wasn't long before I fell asleep while Paul drove.

At about 11am we arrived in the town of Mkhuze. The last few kilometres to the park took us quite a while to drive as we stopped very often to identify the many birds. Paul wanted to identify at least 100 birds on this trip- shouldn't be too difficult as there are more than 420 identified species in this reserve.

We finally arrived at the gate of Mkhuze Game Reserve at midday. Mkhuze is in Northern Zululand and has a wide variety of game. In front of the gate there was the Mshopi campsite. We drove around the campsite to see which site we would like the best. There were only a few other campers there. We chose a site and set up our tent.

It was a bit too hot to go for a game
02 Giraffe02 Giraffe02 Giraffe

A giraffe looking at us.
drive yet, so we walked around the camp site for an hour or so and identified the many birds flying about. We saw a pregnant Tree Agama gripping the trunk of a small tree as well as about a dozen bird species at the camp site. I also tested the temperature of the swimming pool which was perfect.

We then got ready for game drive. As we entered the game reserve at 2pm there was a sign saying to be aware of tortoises – I was looking forward to seeing some tortoises during our game drives. It was an 8 km drive to the main camp complex – Mantuma, where we had to register and pay for our camping.

Along the way we saw a large journey of giraffe eating leaves as they slowly moved. Alongside the giraffe there was a dazzle of zebra and a large herd of female impalas. Three of the zebra suddenly started running in circles and play fighting by trying to bite each other. This action caused the relaxing impalas to move on. We finally arrived at Mantuma camp, paid for our camping and bought an ice cream before continuing our afternoon game drive.

We
03 Walking03 Walking03 Walking

Another giraffe walking along.
drove towards Kumasinga Hide. On the way we came across a couple of young nyalas. The hide was very impressive as it was comfortable and spacious.

From here I could see a small herd of 3 male impalas who wanted to drink but were very cautious of our presence and decided to move on. This reminded how important it is to be quiet when sitting in a hide. On the other side of the pan there was a tortoise sitting on the edge drinking water. After we had been here for ten minutes I noticed that there were many terrapins swimming in the pan at the edge of the hide. There were also 2 tortoises at the edge of the pan enjoying the afternoon sun.

After spending thirty minutes at the hide we decided to get a move on, there was still quite a bit of road we wanted to cover before having to be back at the campsite. Our last stop during the drive was the Insumo hide which overlooked the Insumo Pan. It was very windy here and we didn't see anything at all, except many weaver nests waving around in the wind. We started making our way
04 Stretching04 Stretching04 Stretching

The giraffe stretching up high for leaves.
back to camp. In the distance I saw something out of the corner of my eye, I wasn't too sure if it was anything or just a bush. I asked Paul to reverse, it turned out to be an old elephant bull with very long tusks. He was slowly walking away from us, so we continued on.

By now it was slowly starting to get dark. We were nearly back and then I saw something cross the road in front of us. It was a spotted hyena. It ran along the road and crossed again. In the distance we could hear another hyena calling. This hyena then ran off in the direction of the calling hyena. The gates to the camp close at 7pm and we got back just in time. The total bird count for today was 50 – a great start towards our 100.

We had a few drinks by the fire and had an early night after our dinner, since it was such an early start this morning.

During the night I heard something sniffing the side of the tent and realised that it must be a bush pig. Paul warned me about them visiting the campsite last
05 Ticks05 Ticks05 Ticks

Lots of ticks on the giraffe's bottom.
time he was here. The bush pig continued sniffing around the tent and then knocked over the bin and enjoyed eating the scraps from our dinner. Soon after he left we fell asleep again as we listened to the sounds of the African bush.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

08 Tower08 Tower
08 Tower

The tower of giraffe.
09 Bird09 Bird
09 Bird

A Wattled Starling.
10  Different10  Different
10 Different

Two giraffe with very different shaded fur.
11 Impala11 Impala
11 Impala

A herd of impala.
12 Disturbance12 Disturbance
12 Disturbance

The impala are disturbed by the three zebra behind them.
13 Running Past13 Running Past
13 Running Past

The three zebras run past the impala.
14 Kicking14 Kicking
14 Kicking

It looks like the zebra in front is kicking the other one.
16 Still Running16 Still Running
16 Still Running

The zebra are still running around.
17 Bullying17 Bullying
17 Bullying

The zebras are picking on the smaller zebra.
18 Off it Goes18 Off it Goes
18 Off it Goes

The zebra tries to get away.
19 Playing19 Playing
19 Playing

The zebra were still playing about.
20 Young Ones20 Young Ones
20 Young Ones

Two young nyalas.
21 Running Away21 Running Away
21 Running Away

The two nyalas running away.
22 View from the Hide22 View from the Hide
22 View from the Hide

The view from the Kumasinga Hide.
23 Scared Off23 Scared Off
23 Scared Off

Two impala that were scared off by our presence.
24 By the Edge24 By the Edge
24 By the Edge

A Leopard Tortoise by the edge of the water.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb