Plettenberg Bay Road trip.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 26th 2012
Published: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Plettenberg BayPlettenberg BayPlettenberg Bay

view from microlight. http://www.oasiscentre.co.za/images/Plett/plett%20view%201.jpg
on the 2nd week of November 2011 myself and 10 of my mates set off on our much needed end of academic year holiday. We travelled in a four car convoy all leaving from different houses at about 6am and hoping to meet up with everyone at the Engen garage about 20 mins outside of Cape Town.

it took about two hours for everyone to get there and using excuses like having to turn around because someone left their hairstraightener at home didnt go well with the 7 other guys waiting for the final car to arrive.



We set off, not long goes by when you get the worst bit of information a traveller on a mission can get. someone needs the bathroom, there is nothing less productive than a 10 min stop for 1 person to use the loo, we wouldve ignored it if we hadnt not been in my car. so reluctantly we stopped to let him out.

turning around to see the rest of the convoy all stopping to get steers. the steers restaurants arnt large and when you get 10 hungry okes rocking up there for breakfast things can get a bit hectic. after a rest stop of an hour along with the two hours it'd take us to get there we'd wasted 4 hours travelling 200k's. 400 more to go.



Arriving in Sedgefield is the biggest trick the entire route can play on you. driving down into Sedgefield looks almost identical to driving into Knysna and raises false hopes only to find that we still had another 3 hours to go.

Sedgefield is a regular stop for me when i drive to Plett as Sedgefield is home to a very Unique classic car dealership. there is always old cars and motorbikes for you to see and the shop is run by a very friendly Afrikanns guy, as my Afrik is very bad i struggle to understand anything he says, but i see his smile so thats obviously an indication that im not doing anything wrong.

we get to plett eventually after 7 hours of travelling, 2 hours of Knysna traffic and 5 hours of driving and stopping for food and classic car viewing sites.



let the holiday begin.



we set off again and at this time we've run out of music, out of any decent conversation and as the only way to socialise we resort to our blackberry messengers to help pass the time.

the car goes silence as all three passengers are glued to their cellphone screens. seeing this the driver decides to make a phone call (whilest driving), but as he does a siren pulls us away from our screens and we notice we're being pulled over by a big dutchman in a police car. he walks to our window and asks my mate for his drivers licence. everyone no matter how big you think you are is petrified of a big Afrikanns policeman with a gun and stomach that makes you wonder how much aterial would be needed to make that one shirt.

the policeman walks back to his car and leaves our in total silence until one of us starts laughing and mocking the driver who made the rookie error of not looking out before making a phone call.

the policeman comes back and gives my mate a stern talking to and lets us be on our way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb