South Africa 2010


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
December 24th 2009
Published: December 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in St Lucia, and were shocked to see human life! We had an exciting journey there, as we tried to take a short cut, but it was definately longer! We turned down a dirt track, and went up and over a mountain, which as you can imagine was a bit of a struggle with all of us, rucksacs and a trailer!

That evening we had our first meal out, and went to a fish restaurant called 'Ocean Basket', which was scrummy! Afterwards, in true Bristol style we went to a club called Monkey Lounge! We had a great time, although the DJ was rather shocking and kept remixing amazing songs - like Bonnie Tyler, Hero! So just as we got to our favourite bit and were readying ourselves for a real belter, the bloody DJ added technoey electro beats!

The following day we all went on a boat trip a long the river to see crocs and Hippos. About 20 meters down the river we bumped into - quite literally - a mother and baby. She was very cross and the bumping, so proceeded to chase us, while growling. We saw so many pods of hippos, and a few crocs.

Afterwards we went into the game reserve to go for a swim, and see if we could see anything we had missed out on in Kruger. The beach was amazing, and so much fun with big waves etc. We were all so pleased to have finally reached the beaches that we decided to stop of at every beach the following day on our way to Drakensburg.

We set of at 7.30 am so that we could o swimming at the beaches and drop our trailer off at Duncan's house in Pietermaritzberg, which was on route.
The beaches were amazing, although the current was a little too strong, especially those of us in flimsy bikinis!

We arrived in Drakensberg to find a massive storm hovering over the entire area! The hostel we were staying at was really nice an authentic, and rated second best in the world! I strongly advise it, especially for the area it is in which is insanely beautiful with plenty to do - Amphitheatre Backpackers.

That night we went ot the bar, and the boys yet again tricked us. This time we were tricked into drinking stalkrum (or stemrum, I can never remember which it is!) which 1. is revolting, burns your stomach for about half an hour and makes your eyes water, and 2. is 80% alcoholic!!!

The following morning, Gussy and i and the boys set off for a day trek. We were going to Sentinel peak, by the Amphitheatre and seeing the Tugela falls, which is the second highest in world!
I have to say, the hike was pretty hardcore, and we had to climb a rock fall of about 700-800 meters!!! The view was beyond worth it. I have never seen anything so completely spectacular in all my life! We could see into Lesotho and for thousands of miles afterwards. On our way back down we had to climb down metal ladders, which was rather terrifying!

On the 23rd we set off for Pietermaritzberg where we are spending christmas. Last night we had a birthday party for Duncan, and met some of his home friends, or are driving with us as far as Port Elizabeth.

Today we did some secret santa shopping, and gentle pottering around Pietermaritzberg.....

Happy Nearly Christmas!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb