Capetown South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Capetown SACapetown SACapetown SA

Staying at the Waterfront apartments, braving the cold weather
Nearly caught up on the blogs!! WE arrived safely in Capetown on Saturday to freezing cold winter and rain, and laughed and laughed as realised we had not brought any warm clothes with us, and it was about 10deg. Apparently, I had told Fi that we would be spending a few days in sunny Capetown, lying by the pool - and i had forgotten to research the weather. I told her she had to take some responsibility and do her own research, all was forgiven and we headed to our apartment on teh Waterfront, turned on the heater, and walked to the shopping mall to buy some coats. Picked up some groceries and went back to the apartment to make a healthy salad and watch TV. The Waterfront area is a new development and is just divine, we watched the seals playing in the water, I love them!
Next day we got picked up early, and had a tour of the city. Our driver was so knowledgable about the city, the history, the politics, and made it a very interesting and humourous trip. We drove up Table Mt but unable to catch the cable car up as too foggy and windy.
Capetown SACapetown SACapetown SA

Seals on Waterfront
The views are spectacular, the architecture gorgeous. This beautiful place has its own problems, 25% unemployment rate, thousands of refugees arriving from Zimbabwe. The drive from the airport is littered with revolting little shanty towns, houses made out of tin all on top of each other. The govt is trying to pull down these dwellings, and are in the process of building small houses for the people to move to, prior to the World Cup next year. Problem is the people dont want to move as they cant afford to pay the rates and bills.
Spent afternoon at the Aquarium and watched some divers in the water hand feeding sharks, eels, turtles, fish - it was amazing.
Had wonderful seafood dinner and headed back to the apartment. Early start in the morning for the Stellenboscg winery region, which I will update, as time to stop typing and explore this gorgeous city. Love to everyone, and will be home soon!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Captetown SACaptetown SA
Captetown SA

Table Mountain


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb