Zebra Crossing


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
November 20th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Me and emma out at a bar on the seafrontMe and emma out at a bar on the seafrontMe and emma out at a bar on the seafront

This bar had the best cocktail list ever!-
A short plane ride took me to the beautiful city of Port Elizabeth where I hired a car and road tripped to a little village called Port Alfred to meet Emma for a long weekend. (A lovely teacher friend from York who has moved out here with her South African boyfriend Steven)

On the way I saw a wild heard of zebras! Very excited I turned the car round only to find out they were normal black and white cows. bummer!

Port Alfred was a beautiful little seaside village where we enjoyed eating/drinking out. It was very strange though cos all our friends in the village were white in the pubs and there was a fair amount of racism. I asked one chap who told me "If you find a white man in this town who says he likes black people, He's lying" There were various racist jokes which I won't repeat! - But I was proud that I bit my tongue the whole weekend, all I said was that it was different on the whole in England and we manage to live together most of the time with no problem!!

Strangely enough even the white people are racist against each other!- On leaving the club in the evening a group of white Afrikaans speaking people beat up one of our white English speaking friends in our group.

It was great to see Emma again and we had a cracking time!! Went out for two very nice meals - and cheap too! Saw Emma's school and did some shopping there too!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Village townshipVillage township
Village township

Every place needs a black township and a coloured township and a nice place for white people to stay!!
Big tipBig tip
Big tip

Just near the township was a rubbish dump that Steven took me to with some rubbish from his new plumbing business. As we walked in all these little black children leapt on the back of the van and rooted through all the rubbish and took it off for us. They got a little tip and anything they could find from the rubbish (eg wooden palettes to help build houses)
Our little hire car Our little hire car
Our little hire car

(Which broke down)
Kids at the tipKids at the tip
Kids at the tip

Lots of kids jumping onto the buckies (vans) and collecting rubbish for 2 Rand (about 15p).
Steven at the habour sideSteven at the habour side
Steven at the habour side

This is Emma's boyfriend at the hoabour in Port Alfred. They used to live in England for a couple of years and moved out in February to start their own business.
Ha haHa ha
Ha ha

Emma pushing the car when it broke down!!


20th November 2006

Moo
Have you seen any ostriches yet? They're like big chickens, El.
21st November 2006

ha ha
It was a simple mistake to make; black, white, five foot tall.
21st November 2006

Good luck
good luck on your viva tim!!
21st November 2006

15 Rand
15 rand.. what little rip off merchants. I'd sell other peoples waste scavenged from a festering, sceptic, toxic tip for 12 Rand. What do you say, deal or no deal?
22nd November 2006

PC
Very PC as ever Simon!! Indeed, who said Africans were poor eh?! x
29th November 2006

Dont bite your tongue
Dont bite your tongue when you hear racist comments. Please, make my fellow South Africans aware that racist comments aren't acceptable to foreigners. Racism is a habit that is hard to break for some people.

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb