Cape Town, Robertson Wacky Wine and Montgu


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
June 8th 2013
Published: September 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cape Town to Roberston to Montagu


The CaddyThe CaddyThe Caddy

Packed for the first time completely as we're about to set off on the road!
After arriving back in Cape Town from Sydney on a Sunday evening with hopes of leaving by the Wednesday, we snapped to it with planning and acquiring the necessary gear before setting off on our adventure. We eventually left on the Saturday (8thJune) having spent a week going from here to there, buying some boxes and gear, getting some curtains made for the van and stocking up on some long life foods and tins for the camping road. Destination numero uno fell into our laps when some spare tickets surfaced for camping at the Wacky Wine weekend in Robertson. We decided it grand to spend the first night at a wine festival so we jumped onboard. Also my brother was going to be there selling his beer from Devils Peak Brewery so that made it a done deal.

Robertson is not far out from Cape Town so about 2h later we were arriving to a wet, cloudy and cold Arabella campsite. As we were sleeping in the van that night (for the first time ever) we didn’t need to do any set up so we just parked and headed for the tasting room. After a few tastings we went to
Cristina in the CaddyCristina in the CaddyCristina in the Caddy

Packed for the first time completely as we're about to set off on the road!
see the Devils Peak stand. Al hadn’t arrived yet and it had started raining, so we found a place to sit and just parked off with some wine. We got started on beer when Al arrived and after an afternoon of wine Cristina had put me to bed by 8pm! When we woke the next day I was a bit bummed to have missed the party, but glad to have had 11h of sleep!

So feeling fresh we headed for Graham Beck and then Springfield wineries before pushing off to Montagu Springs. As Cristina had looked after me the night before, I was designated dave and behind the wheel for the road between the wineries and Montagu so Cristina made the most of it. Fair’s fair J The Springs were nice, but also just ok in a way. I guess we’d been expecting rock pools with natural water, but it is very much a resort with loads of chlorine in the pools and a hotel type atmosphere – not what we were aiming for on our camping trip although we did meet some nice people there! Either way we had a good dinner there of Karoo Lamb Shank Pie and Bobotie and a nice comfortable hotel bed to sleep in!

The next day we were up and packed in time to make the most of a buffet breakfast, which was deliciously average, before heading off on the road for the next night at Sutherland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Arabella Wacky Wine campingArabella Wacky Wine camping
Arabella Wacky Wine camping

That's us, no tent, just a van with a mattress and everything else inside.
Cold, cloudy & wet Wacky Wine FestivalCold, cloudy & wet Wacky Wine Festival
Cold, cloudy & wet Wacky Wine Festival

Not the best weather at Arabella for the Wacky Wine, we got stuck into some wine and Devils Peak beer to make the most of it!
Devils Peak & Table MountainDevils Peak & Table Mountain
Devils Peak & Table Mountain

One last glance at the mountain before we left it for 4 months!
Graham Beck wineryGraham Beck winery
Graham Beck winery

Managing last nights "too-much-wine" at Graham Beck, while looking at Google Maps to work out our routes over the next few days.
Graham Beck wineryGraham Beck winery
Graham Beck winery

Cristina enjoying her turn to do some tastings with Steve as the driver
Springfield winerySpringfield winery
Springfield winery

One of our favourite wineries!
Springfield winerySpringfield winery
Springfield winery

As we're about to set off at the end of the day to Montagu to find some accomodation.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb