Road Tripping


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
May 16th 2013
Published: May 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


It's been a few days, so I'll try to catch you all up with all of our happenings. After a morning safari on Tuesday we sadly left Sanbona behind for the coast. It was another great game drive as we saw 3 lions play with a small herd of rhinos. They were just running around them having fun, since the rhinos could have easily fended off any real attack. The whole experience on the Safari was incredible, and definitely the highlight of the trip so far for me. I think Brady would say the same too.

We left about 11 AM for a drive down to Agulhas, the southern most tip in Africa. This is where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans officially meet and is slightly more south than the Cape of Good Hope. It was nice 3.5 hour drive through a mountain pass and down to the coast, but as there isn't much there besides the historical markers, we continued our road trip up to Hermanus. We were hoping that the Southern Right Whales had migrated north from Antarctica a little early this year, but were out of luck. They are famous for coming into the bay area around the town of Hermanus for the winters down here. The town was pretty dead after summer beach season, and before the whales had started showing up. It was a really nice quiet town though on the beach. Got some good photos and had some good seafood.

After a night in Hermanus, we made our way to the heart of wine country. We arrived in Stellenbosch Wednesday afternoon at our bed and breakfast, Bonne Esperance. We're keeping it quaint and sophisticated for our time in the wine country. It's a really nice town and our place is right across the street from the university grounds. It looks and feels like any other stereotypical college town, but is still uniquely Africa. Not quite sure how to explain it, but we'll be here through Saturday so will still have plenty of time to get a feel for it. It looks like the fires going in the dining hall, and I hear some activity in the kitchen. I'm going to go get ready for breakfast, then it's off to a winery and some cafes for the rest of the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb