Flat Stanley in Western Cape, South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
November 8th 2010
Published: November 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Western Cape, Cape Town, Hermanus
Sunday - after a really long journey (15 hours) we arrived in Cape Town airport from Paris and dropped our bags off at the guest house we were staying in in a place called Sunset Beach village which overlooks Table Mountain bay with an amazing view of Table Mountain. We then went to eat in Blauberg at a place called On the Rocks, I took some pictures there of the view from where we ate so you can see where we were.

The next day we went to go and do some whale spotting in a place called Hermanus, we were lucky to see 2 whales in the Bay, I also had a picture taken of myself beside a real life size whale so you can see how big these creatures are! The adults weigh 60 tons and they live up to 60 years! A baby whale (or calf) when it is born is 6 meters long and drinks up to 600 liters of milk a day. The adults are 18 meters long.

They come to Hermanus Bay to breed each year and the town has its own Whale Crier who has a special horn (called a kelp horn) whose noise makes the whales come closer to the surface. This is the only place in the world with a whale crier.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb