Ivy league 4.5 Old Rooster and his young chick


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
April 5th 2011
Published: April 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Vigne-a-VigneVigne-a-VigneVigne-a-Vigne

Proof of the pudding - Medals to prove, as the bruises won't last
Woof!
I was so glad to see my humans on Sunday night instead of Monday morning as promised. They staggered in at about 20h00; still in their cycling gear, with medals around their necks, bikes absolutely filthy. I can't believe Gogo allowed her precious Juliet to get so dirty in the first place. Judging by the excited telephone calls; this won't be the first they will be rolling in the hay (read: rolling down the mountain).

Gogo is nursing a prizewinning bruise on her hip; has a bloody knee and keeps sucking her left forefinger. Uwi has rinsed off his bike and packed it back into the car. He's off to Gauteng again and while he's away the derailleur needs attention. Again.

Wounds were incurred and medals collected on the Vigne a' Vigne; the annual mountain bike event that coincides with the legendary Cape Epic stage race. It's quite a challenging course for rookies through the vineyards, orchards and plantations of the Lourensford Wine Estate. The climbing was rugged; bike pushing stuff. The vista at the top overlooking False Bay was awesome and the descents exhilarating. Gogo found the latter hair raising and got to practising how to somersault
Medals and numbersMedals and numbersMedals and numbers

and free parking pass to Exxaro hospitality tent
over the top of Juliet's handlebars. It was apparently a higher grade MTN course with every aspect of mountain bike racing in miniature bites. The course was designed for 60% of the field to finish before the winners of the Epic were expected to arrive. Uwi and Gogo had their mountain biking skills thoroughly tested but both made it back in time to cheer on the main manne of the day! They loved the buzz at the finish line; revelled in being guests at the Exxaro hospitality tent and even managed to fit in a helicopter flip over the estate and along the last few kays of the main track.

The day before; Saturday they wandered through the open air fair at Oude Libertas, tasting and carboloading on the slow food on offer. Gogo bought a new handbag; at last. She's been complaining forever about the broken strap on the old one. Genuine handmade bovine stuff. Well if it makes her happy, who are Uwi and I to complain?

Back home; it is clearly post equinox. Gone are the long and balmy days,winter is fast approaching and windpower is back in Witsand bringing with it icy long fingers.
La RomanticaLa RomanticaLa Romantica

Fine dining in Stellenbosch on Friday evening. That Uwi's sister Rita with us. Alan is taking the pic
There's no going anywhere without a Helly Hansen in tow. Hats off to their inventor.

Oh and I forgot… the front door now sports a new notice: An Old Rooster and his Young Chick live here. I'll show you a pic next time.
Woof!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Oude LibertasOude Libertas
Oude Libertas

Now what to have for brunch?


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb