wine country


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
May 27th 2007
Published: May 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today a day in the life of Tommy and Eileen woke up, this morning at Whale song lodge to go Shark diving. We were booked through our Inn, and arrived at the diving site around 8:00am. We were with people from Australia (Tanzania) and Africa to name a few. Once we took off on our 42 ft shark cage fishing boat called Barracuda, we realized it was a little shadier operation than we anticipated. I don’t discourage anyone from ever trying this experience but, I guess the regulations are very different for tourism/boating in Africa. Anyway, we were barely given instruction except to put on this wet suit, and me, Tommy and 3 others were instructed to jump into the ocean, in a cage that was submerged into the ocean. The cage had to be like 6 ft tall, so we were always either treading water or holding onto the top part of the cage while the captain and his skippers threw shark bate into the water to attract the great whites, and yes, in the 3 hours we were there, we saw 15 different great whites, and they would swim, and breech right in front of us- literally a few feet. It was wild, and then eventually when it was over, we moved on, and checked out of our inn, to take off on our way to what sounds but is not spelled like, freshneiwk - to a world class winery Inn, that is just unbelievable, but to even drive here took, mountains, and turns, that were just 90 degrees the entire way. This place where we are for the next few nights is just pure bliss. I can’t describe it, anymore w/ anymore adjectives because it is just gorgeous. Long story short at dinner tonight, me, I ate Kingklip, a delicious linefish, Tommy Impala steak, he loved it, then we met 2 couples, one from VA, the other from Jersey City! The guy was about 85, and teaches at NYU, African Art. Just crazy,small world, he has been to Africa 18 times. Then to Boulabeisse, a fun lively champagne/oyster bar for pre-dinner cocktail, and then return for dessert later, we had a blast and love the owners. We need to come back for an anniversary….we got bit by the bug here (African) not mesquito or anything…and we just started Malarone pills, since we are 3 days away from being in unsafe Maleria zone………..

Advertisement



27th May 2007

Dare devils extraordinaire....
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Labetti (yeah.. that's you!!), Charlie and I were so filled with emotion reading this blog... we were in such suspense about the shark cage... so awesome!! I was reading it outloud like a real suspense novel to Charlie! Charlie says you two sure have big 'cojones'... if you know what I mean! Love your bravery!! What an experience you will NEVER forget! Sounds like you are eating everything... that's awesome! I bet you'll come home searching the local fish markets for Kingklip... and they're gonna say... "You have to go to South Africa for that my friend"...and you'll both look at each and chuckle.... haha!! Now.... what's this about getting bitten?? I'm scared! Better get 2 shots to be safe!! Hey...have you heard about those human-eating ants yet? lol!! Miss you to pieces!! xoxo!
31st May 2007

wow
How exciting ever thing sounds. You are doing a great job taking us a long on your honeymoon. Have fun, stay safe. Mom

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb