A Round into the Butts


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
November 5th 2006
Published: November 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Short drive - long drink



Today was what might be called a 'warmer/settler' day. Not too much time in the truck, introduction to dorm living and an alcohol fuelled tour of four regional wineries where the normal conventions of responsible service of alcohol were completely ignored.

After the truck brief, we finally got away about 0930hrs, and were at Stellenbosh a little over an hour later. Much better views of Table Mountain!

Stumblin Inn


We arrived at a rather down at heal backpackers where the group was split up over two rooms. Given the gender mix - 16 pax, about 2/3 female - it was not going to be possible to have a boys and girls dorm. Especially when the four place room was a double and bunk beds. So much for any notion that we might have a modicum of privacy.

Wineries


Visited four of these - all okay but nothing spectacular, although all trotted out the evidence of their brilliance. Best effort of the day was not so much for the wine, but for the cheeses and wordplays. More of this in due course.

Guides


We have an interesting crew mix. Shona knows what she is doing and in non-interventionist. Martina is under instruction, and keeps hassling the group of older pax to hurry up, despite the fact we are are rarely the last for anything. Billy is the driver, and we have hardly seen anything of him. Glen is a ring in - the worst of the 'dinkum' Aussie, but an Aussie nonetheless. It promises to be an interesting trip!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb