Garden Route... Mmmmm... Nice...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Mossel Bay
September 9th 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's windy hereIt's windy hereIt's windy here

This was taken just out of Cape Town.
We thought we'd do something different with this blog, by letting the pictures tell the story of our 1500km journey from Cape Town to Dundee. There is also a little video attached to this blog, this is still a beta function, so apologies if it doesn't work. We'd suggest looking at all the photos before viewing the video.

In the interests of helping out anyone who liked the look of the places we visited, we have added the following links.

Khoi Village

Safari Ostrich Farm

Cango Caves

Cango Wildlife Ranch

Teniqua Treetops

Monkeyland

Birds of Eden

And so endeth our time on the continent of Africa. Next stop New Zealand.






Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

They love their whale memorabiliaThey love their whale memorabilia
They love their whale memorabilia

This was in Hermanus, where we saw a whale after a minute of looking out to see.
Another whale tailAnother whale tail
Another whale tail

No, not a g-string poking out over my jeans.
Some weirdass cloudsSome weirdass clouds
Some weirdass clouds

We saw these on our drive to Oudtshoorn
The huts at the Khoi VillageThe huts at the Khoi Village
The huts at the Khoi Village

The little round huts were replicas of those that the nomadic Khoi-San used to live in hundred of years ago. These ones had beds though.
Submerged whaleSubmerged whale
Submerged whale

You'll have to take our word on this. It took about 50 shots to get a photo where the whale was visible, due to the 2 second shutter lag on our expensive crappy digital camera from Kenya.
Swinging chairSwinging chair
Swinging chair

This was one of the nice features at Mossel Bay, utilised by romantics and stoners.
Feather Palace at Safari Ostrich FarmFeather Palace at Safari Ostrich Farm
Feather Palace at Safari Ostrich Farm

The Ostrich Farm owners made so much money in the early 1900s they became known as Feather Barons, and the sprawling houses they built were known as Feather Palaces.
Jack the RipperJack the Ripper
Jack the Ripper

getting a feed from Bronson
Omelette anyone?Omelette anyone?
Omelette anyone?

When they were in great demand for hats and boas, ostrich feathers were worth more than their weight in gold.
Finger foodFinger food
Finger food

You can't distinguish between male and female ostriches when they are this little.
Yee ha!Yee ha!
Yee ha!

Bronson holding on for dear life.
Plan view of the Cango CavesPlan view of the Cango Caves
Plan view of the Cango Caves

Yellow for lazy people, Green for the mildly interested, Red for the adventurous (that would be us then).
Some of the formationsSome of the formations
Some of the formations

This was before we had to start crawling. There was a very narrow uphill tunnel called the Devils Chimney, after which you had to slide down on your belly through the Post Box, which was an opening of about 20cm. It was at this point Bronson realised he is slightly claustrophobic!
Sharon in the jaws of death...Sharon in the jaws of death...
Sharon in the jaws of death...

No, actually it's just the entrance to the Cango Wildlife Ranch.
Baby MeercatsBaby Meercats
Baby Meercats

These were sooo cute, we must've spent 30 minutes watching them swaying on their wobbly little legs imitating their parents.
Bronson keeps a lookoutBronson keeps a lookout
Bronson keeps a lookout

Meercats always have a sentry standing guard at the highest point. Bronson thought he'd help out too.
HumphreyHumphrey
Humphrey

A baby pygmy hippo. Despite looking like a slimy turd on legs, we found him even cuter than the baby meercats! You could even cuddle him for a fee. Strangely, no one took them up on that.


21st November 2006

They're that big?
You can RIDE Ostriches? I thought that was only possible in cartoons? And baby Meercats! Meercats are cool. Looks like you've had quite an adventure!
8th December 2006

Done the Garden Route twice myself and love it very much! Actaully stayed in the place up in the tree tops for a night aswell but in the house not up in the branches. I have a rein check (spl?) with the Bungie!

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb