On The Road Again - The Garden Route to be exact.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » False Bay
January 12th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunset on Table MountainSunset on Table MountainSunset on Table Mountain

After standing in a huge line, freezing our buns off and me having to endure another cable car ride we were rewarded by a beautiful sunset. Very nice!
We are loving Africa. Great people and amazing scenery.

While in J'Burg we did visit the Apartheid Museum, and a few historical landmarks in Soweto, which was an eye opener. Leaves you a bit shell shocked by how people could have thought the whole idea of racial segregation was a good idea!

We then jetted down to Capetown where we went up Table Mountain by cable car (again!!!!!....Sarita tells me this is the last one for the holiday but she has said that before) and we visited Robben Island where Nelson stayed for a while (18 years).

Then we hired a car and hit the Garden Route, armed with our camping gear and saw some beautiful scenery, did some camping, some hikes and I got some surf in.....hooray! Sarita had a go at surfing too... she thinks she almost drowned but actually she just got tumbled around by a wave and was under water for about 3 seconds.

We visited the most southern tip of Africa and we saw baboons wandering around on the road trying to get some food from tourists... apparently baboons are very dangerous and you shouldn't feed them, well that's what the hundreds
Nelson's HangoutNelson's HangoutNelson's Hangout

Here is where Nelson Mandela stayed in Robben Island for about 18 years and managed to write his autobiography.
of signs said on the side of the road.

We have signed onto a tour from Capetown through Namibia and Botswana to the Victoria Falls, so we might be out of contact for 3 weeks - we are going off in search off wild animals!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

So close but so farSo close but so far
So close but so far

Here is the view from Robben Island. Nobody ever escaped from the prison island.... so tempting though to try when you can see freedom. I was going to make a swim for it but the tour operator called us back onto the bus, he had a air of authority that I couldn't break away from.
DangerousDangerous
Dangerous

Not in the Wacko Jacko sense. Apparently walk along with some food on you and these little cute monkey folk go nuts and will mug you in 2 seconds....dangerous! Sarita took this photo from the safety of the car.
Road hazardRoad hazard
Road hazard

South Africa gives you a whole different driving experience. This little birdie would do a hell of a lot more damage than a hedgehog.
SurfingSurfing
Surfing

Me in action. Sarita's first go at being a surf photographer ...... we both have a long way to go before we go pro.
Ruffing it!Ruffing it!
Ruffing it!

Yeah this camping in Africa with all the wild animals and windswept lands was hard work as shown in this photo. You can see that the tan has come along nicely. I am now clearly beige rather than fluro white.


13th January 2009

Where's the bottom turn ADG?
You're going in a straight line ADG! Grab the rail and turn that boat, I mean surfboard....
13th January 2009

I so enjoy following your trip
Thank you - great photos especially the evil baboons.
19th January 2009

These photos brings back good memories. We loved Africa too. Glad to see you are still travelling well bet you want to do it all over again. xx

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb