Tankwa Karoo


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cederberg
July 18th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Guest House sun setGuest House sun setGuest House sun set

There was lots of old farming equipment lying around!!
The week leading up to the long weekend had been cold!! Cold even by the South African Standard.

From Stellenbosch you could see snow on the surrounding mountains and some of us had been unlucky enough to scrape Ice off the cars in morning.

Now this is not unusual for some from the UK but we have central heating. These guys don't, layers, its all about the layers! and boy do you need them.



So we finished work on Friday lunch time and headed towards Ceres and the Cederberg. In-between these 2 areas is the Great Karoo and the Tankwa Karoo.

We had packed everything! I had got every piece of warm clothing i own in SA! we had extra duvets, blankets and hot water bottles. We were not going to be cold.



The first night we were spending in the Tankwa Guest house. Its a communal house but each room has its own bathroom and tea making facilities. This place looked like a fort!! The ranger met us at the house and informed us that we were the only ones there!

Beers were opened and we put on an extra layer and went for a walk to take in the extensive views and the sunset.

Our first surprise was that we didn't need to light the fire till well after the sun went down as there was a warm breeze blowing and while we sat chatting on the stoop waiting for he stars and the moon to appear the heat radiated off the building!

I had packed a pair of shorts, just because I could. The weather forecast said it was going to be high teens in the day but turning v cold at night! I was not let down.

We traveled through the park to our next accommodation, the Elandsberg cottages. Shorts and t shirt were defiantly the right choice of clothing.

The accommodation was brilliant, we could sit on the stoop and watch the animals walk past and not see anyone!

The shower was massive with a door and massive window so you could watch the animals whilst showering. You could even watch the animals from the toilet!!!

Our hut had a plunge pool!! We all dared each other to take a dip!!! This became ritual every morning!! Was very cold!!

Our days consisted of being woken by the sun streaming in through the window, a walk in the fynbois before breakfast and lazing in the sun, reading, chatting, talking and taking pictures in the day and at night sitting out by the braai until it was time to eat.

We were all surprised by how warm the nights were, the fire was light only to give us some bush tv!!

This place was awesome, well worth a trip back just to unwind. No big 5 but plenty of bok and some zebra!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

PolarisPolaris
Polaris

Sun rise with the north star !


18th July 2014
IMG_4390

Where are your shorts it can't be that cold,looks like old steam engines , hope you are having fun !!
19th July 2014

your stories
Well Kate, whilst we are the middle of a wonderful heat wave, it was lovely reading about you being so cold. Of course, my heart went out to you, and I tried not smile (or even laugh) but I controlled myself. Can I please say that being able to see the animals whilst you are on the toilet is really more information than anyone needs or even wants. Like the lion peeing on your car, but as its you I can live with it. Keep on blogging kid, really enjoying them lv me x

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb