Finally, and entry from Africa!


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody!
Well, we finally got to do a couple of tours. It's been cloudy and raining everyday but one since we arrived. We did get to go to the National Aquarium our first day because it's inside. Then spent the next few days wondering around the mall, it's gigantic. Every store you can imagine. Finally on Monday we did a tour with Daytrippers. It was great, they really pack your day full of fun. We traveled down the coast and stopped at Hout Bay, took a boat ride out to Seal Island to watch the Cape Fur Seals. They were great. The big ones, which are as big as a bear when grown, mostly ignored us. But the little ones would come close to the boat and look at us and clap thier fins together, so cute. Your not allowed to feed or touch them of course.
Our next stop was at Boulders Beach to see the African Jack Ass Penguin. The sound they make is just like a Jack Ass braying. These are little penguins about 14-16 inches tall. They were all nesting in burrows they had dug in the ground and all had a fuzzy chick or two. They are so funny to watch, waddling around. The park tries to keep them in the beach area, but there were some up in the surrounding neighborhood nesting under peoples rose bushes.
Next we went through the town of Muzeinberg. We stopped up on a hillside and looked down and counted over 30 surfers out in the water. The water here this time of year is 30-34 degrees, so they all had wet suites on. You really have to love surfing, and Africa does have some of the best waves in the world. There was a man in a little booth with binoculars there on the hillside. He is the lookout for Great White sharks. With all the seals and penguins in the area, Africa has the most Great Whites next to Australia. So far this year he has spotted 89 Great Whites. When he spots one he radios down to the beach so the lifeguards can get everybody out of the water. Wow! We will not be taking surfing lesson until we're much farther up the coast where the water is warm and there are no penguins and seals.
Our next stop was Cape Point. This was great, we rode bikes for a couple of miles before we got back to the coastline. Aaron and I were riding along and a troop of female Baboons came out of the scrub brush and crossed the road right in front of us. They all either had a baby on their back, or one walking beside them. They just looked at us and went on their way. We all met up at the visitors center and had lunch, then back on our bikes to the coast. Undescribably beautiful! I never imagined how epic this coastline would look. Mountains coming right down to the sea, waves crashing on the rocky shore, beautiful plants fillling the landscape. We're riding along looking at the coastline and all of a sudden there's a huge male ostrich and his harem of 7 females just walking along the beach, it was so cool. You just never picture ostriches and the beach together. They were awesome. We rode on to the end of the road and then climbed, climbed, climbed to the farthest point we could get to at the Cape of Good Hope. You can actually look at the ocean and see a very distinct line where the warm water current of the Indian Ocean meets the cold water current of the Atlantic, and it goes out to sea as far as you can see. It was so amazing up there. It really did take your breath away. This was a truly awesome day.
Yesterday, we went to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned 18 of his 27 year imprisonment. It was very eye opening. Actual political prisoners give the tours. They are all very educated and entertaining. They try to keep the mood light while still leaving you with an accurate picture of what was going on during Apartheid and their fight for human rights. It was also amazing in a different way.
Well, that's all for now. Aaron's trying to download some pics but the computer here is not cooperating, they might come later.
Talk to you soon!
Carolyn

Advertisement



3rd June 2009

keep it coming
Wow how beautiful, I'm so happy for you Susie. You still look the same as in high school, and you deserve it, I Love you girl.
3rd June 2009

Hello
What a wonderful time it sounds like you're having! I'm happy for both of you to get to have such an awesome adventure!!

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb