On our way home.....


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
January 26th 2017
Published: January 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

As we wait for our evening flight from J'burg to Heathrow, decided to add one last blog. These are from a great 10 day trip in the Capetown area. Capetown is a beautiful waterfront city, often compared to San Diego. The weather was gorgeous, except for our first day when they had incredibly strong winds and gusts. Fortunately it only lasted the day, but did cause a major fire on the outskirts of the city.



The visit included taking the cable car up, and in our normal western assumption, thinking it would be easier to just meander/walk down. But I am not sure what part of the granite mountain we would be meandering... We were later to be told, nobody walks down, that's much too hard. It was a very rocky narrow path, but we made it, though we limped for the next couple of days, as our legs were quite sore! Other days in the city included a somber trip to Robbins Island to see the cell where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years of his life. The overall feel is the city has tried to accurately portray their history.



We did enjoy the highlights of the city which included delicious food and great wines.... Our last 4 days were spent in the wine country of Paarl and Franschhoek were we loved touring the wineries. Franschhoek has a great tram with 6 different lines and each line stopping at up to 5 wineries for tastings. We both found our maximum carrying capacity for wines! Even we had to decline some of the tastings. But it was great fun!!



And even though I was not going to, the last photos are of Mauritius, what a beautiful island!!



Had all day, and now we find ourselves rushing to the airport... 😊



Hope all is well with everyone!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

In front of the S AFrican National Art GalleryIn front of the S AFrican National Art Gallery
In front of the S AFrican National Art Gallery

Truck was completely covered in beads


Tot: 0.536s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 38; qc: 153; dbt: 0.1412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb