VISITING & DOING RESEARCH ON THE BO-KAAP


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
October 19th 2012
Published: October 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Walking into the colorful Bo Kaap neighborhood in Cape Town is like going from black and white to amazing Technicolor. The sun peeked through the clouds compounding the dazzling effects of the bright colors gracing the homes and businesses; I felt like Dorothy waking up in Oz.

The Bo Kaap, in the shadow of Signal Hill, is the heart of the Cape Malay population in Cape Town. Smells of delicious foods fill the air and the call to prayer rings out five times a day in a delightful melody of penance.

The bright colors that are now emblematic of the neighborhood is a more recent phenomenon, starting in the 90s after the end of apartheid. Painting the homes in bright, cheerful colors was a way to express happiness and joy and has developed into a tradition throughout the neighborhood. Owners may paint their homes whenever they want to, just as long as there’s variety on the street.

* People are friendly

* wonderful personality

* welcoming spirit

Walking through the neighborhood is a must for any visitor, especially when you combine it with a delicious Cape Malay cooking experience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb