Cape Town: Dining & Living


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
September 30th 2011
Published: October 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Exploring new tastes in food and life is one of life's greatest pleasures for me. When visiting South Africa it was definitely a highlight to enmesh with the local cultures of dining and lifestyle. Wine and food are essential aspects of life at the Cape so after my limited days there I share with you some reviews...

V&A Waterfront:

KARIBU: Although this venue is in the midst of a tourist cove at the V&A Waterfront, it is set between the picturesque view of Table Mountain and the tranquil blue waters of the Atlantic ocean. Karibu allows you the opportunity to experience the vibrant flavor of South Africa and be part of their unique dining theater while images of their wildlife are prjected upon large screens across the room. We encountered the true ruggedness of Africa within the luxurious setting of the restaurant where a mixed fusion of African ambiance blended itself with the flavors of their rich and diverse cultural heritage. The Karibu chefs bring passion to all their dishes based on many years of experience. With the organic fragrances of the veld blended into their food, you can experience a true feeling of 'living in Africa'. Using only the finest ingredients, chefs prepare the best South Africa has to offer from succulent steaks and delicious seafood to Cape Malay and traditional local favorites like boboite, potjiekos, putu and chakalaka and koeksisters. I chose the creamy Crayfish Bisque as a soup for starters then went with the panfried Chicken Schnitzel which was heavy but delicious. My recommendation would be to go for a more traditional specialty such as lamb shack or the springbok. Embrace true South Africa dining...

BASCULE WINE, WHISKEY, & CIGAR BAR: We visited the Bascule Bar for a slice of Cape Town's social energy two seperate times. Located at the Cape Grace Hotel, this Cape Town whisky and wine bar looks over the calm water of a private V&A Waterfront marina. Full of gleaming yachts, it sets the scene for a relaxed gathering of Cape Town locals and international guests.

By day the Bascule Bar is a lively and vibrant destination, the ideal place to enjoy breakfast, a cappuccino or light lunch. By night, the space is transformed into a glamorous Whisky, Wine and Cocktail Bar where connoisseurs and social butterflies gather in equal measure to enjoy a slice of Cape Town's social life.

Winter weather is still in full swing and Bascule has launched a delicious range of winter warmer drinks to lure you out of your comfy cocoon and unleash your inner ‘social butterfly’ even on the coldest of days or nights. Think rich warm chocolate and coffee aromas, mixed with hints of peppermint liquor or rum.

Bascule is the perfect setting to sit back and unwind against a Table Mountain backdrop...

Stellenbosch:

GLEN CARLOU: Glen Carlou is part of the Swiss-owned Hess Family Estates and their dedication to sustainable farming is a strong indication of the philosophy of ‘being custodians of the land their approach is clearly one of farming in harmony with nature, not mainupulating it. Glen Carlou’s worldwide reputation for quality wines has been built on the mission of delivering handcrafted wines reflecting the distinctive terrain. The Glen Carlou Restaurant in the Paarl Valley just outside the town of Stellenbosch serves a variety of African, Contemporary, and International dishes. They offer a tempting selection of cuisine with both ethnic and international flavors that can be enjoyed under the high wooden beams of the tasting arena or outside on the terrace, offering a panoramic view of vineyard and mountain. The farm is situated on the northern foothills of Simonsberg Mountain.

We began by ordering several starter dishes such as the Norwegian Salmon along with tasting 6 distinct blends of wine. I recommend the Sauteed Gnocchi with roasted butternut, pine kernels, pumpkin seeds and herbed beurre noisette (best enjoyed with a glass of their Chardonnay). It was spectacular!

If you tour the nearby vineyards, stop here for lunch.

Kalk Bay:

HARBOUR HOUSE: This venue is one of the best-loved seafood restaurants in Cape Town, with a culinary team that places emphasis on linefish caught earlier in the day by the fisherman who work out of Kalk Bay Harbour, which the restaurant overlooks. Situated in the picturesque "old world charm" of Kalk Bay's harbour, the Harbour House has a world-class position. Built on the breakwater, the restaurant has exquisite views overlooking False Bay and the mountains beyond on one side, and the colourful harbour on the other. From late July, the Humpback and Southern Right whales come into the bay and are regularly visible to diners as so are the local seals. Floor to ceiling picture windows allow you to experience unforgettable seascapes from any table.

In winter a log fire roars in the center of the restaurant as huge waves crash on the rocks below and spray splashes the windows. Harbour House is stylish without being stiff or formal and is very much about fine dining in a comfortable and relaxed environment. The interior of the restaurant is elegant and simple, a quality reflected in the cuisine.

All meals are prepared with an emphasis on allowing the flavors of the fresh ingredients to speak for themselves. The cuisine is international with Mediterranean elements underpinned by classic French recipes. With the abundance of fresh sealife available daily on their doorstep, seafood and the freshest possible line fish is what they do best. Their own fishing boat "Live Bait" supplies its catch exclusively to their restaurants. For this reason, Harbour House is known for guaranteeing the freshest line fish in Cape Town. Try the seafood platter which includes mussels, shrimp, and oysters and dont forget to get your order of sushi in as well!

Camps Bay:

CAFE CAPRICE: We were told this is one of the most popular venues along the famous Camps Bay beachfront. Café Caprice attracts a trendy crowd of sophisticated young professionals, glamorous model-types, and its fair share of celebrities. Due to its ideal location with wonderful views of the beachfront, it is also popular for film shoots and has been fortunate to receive several good write-ups in overseas publications. Sunsets along this part of the coastline are legendary, and outside tables are filled to capacity every evening with a lively crowd enjoying sundowners and the impressive variety of cocktails on offer. The large lounge area, complete with eye-catching wall murals has a sweet vibe largely created by the resident DJ who plays every night in season and at weekends in the winter months. We ventured to this recommended hot spot for their known Sunday night party in celebration of a new decade...my 30th birthday! Mannn. Our plans to dine afterwards were soon forgotten since the music captured us and the crowd was definitely alluring.

Adjacent to the bar area is the upstairs restaurant section which is reserved for non-smokers and has a fireplace for cozy intimate dining on cold winter evenings. Aside from their nightly lounge parties, Café Caprice is also very popular for breakfast with Eggs Benedict and a variety of omelettes being popular choices. Lunches include fresh salads, baguettes and ciabata with a selection of fillings, and an excellent pure beef burger. Its unquestionably worth going to.

Long Street:

Long Street in Cape Town has an irresistible ambiance and irrepressible spirit. With architecture so unique, it has Victorian verandas with broekie lace alongside Muslim Mosques mingling in a curiously appealing clash of cultures. And long it certainly is. It stretches along more than 20 blocks of Cape Town. Long Street is a one-way street with a much adored New Orleans vibe and feel to it.

THE DUBLINER: For an evening out, The Dubliner is just the place. Choose a cigar from around the world as you sip on cocktails and listen to live jazz. This venue is Cape Town's first authentic Irish Pub located on the vibrant Long Street, in the heart of the action. They offer live music every night with a talented array of musicians and music. My night here was made when the band serenaded me with their version of "Sweet Caroline". It never gets old.

Directly upstairs from the bar is the Dubliner lounge. This room is an elegant lounge area with a bar, piano, comfortable seating and large open balcony area. Customers can enjoy a nice meal or a few drinks in a relaxed environment or play a game of pool. The balcony is a perfect location to watch the excitement of Long Street unfold.

NEIGHBOURHOOD BAR: This is one of the more recent additions to Long Street's vibrant focus. Situated on the first floor, the restaurant, bar and lounge was opened in 2007 with the intent of creating a comfortable environment that feels as though it could be a home away from home. Taking from the British trend of upmarket pubs with high quality food, Neighbourhood has a full bar menu that has something for everyone. The DJ jammed out to old-school hip-hop and jazz while the bar area buzzed with spunky characters.

With no fist pumping in sight, Long Street seemed to be the perfect bar scene for any night of the week. Check it out for a change from Cape Town's clubs and lounges.

Cape Town, we love you. Cheers...





Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb