I heart Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The sunny, windy, charming and cosmopolitan city of Cape Town. It is cultural, vibrant and is the jewel of SA. I am in love and could stay here for ever. We are bunking at an amazing place and you meet so many traveller's around the world - just fantastic. I can see this is a place where you just get stuck! It also doesn't help that the weather has been high 28-31 and the wine is outstanding...a deadly combination. We picked up a bottle of Goast Du Roam that would cost $15 CAN for $5 here. Needless to say, we will see if my liver will hold up as we try all the new labels.

Our first night here we decided to head to Newlands stadium to take in some Rugby. Cape Town Stormers vs. New South Wales - great experience complete with beer tents set up along the way. The game was great and by the end I think we had a good handle on the rules and got see one of the best players, Bryan Habana play.

Yesterday we rented a car and drove out to Cape Point with two friends from Columbia and Argentina. The drive itself was amazing, going through many of the beach towns (Simon's Town, etc) on False Bay. You can see the european influence and some of the houses were amazing! Feels meditterean. Once we reached Cape Point we made the trek up for some outstanding views - it is the southeast corner of the Cape Peninsula, which is a mountainous and very scenic. It north-south for about thirty kilometres at the extreme southwestern tip of the African continent in the Republic of South Africa. After we stopped at Boulders Beach to check out the penguins. Boulders Beach is a sheltered beach made up of inlets between granite bouldersthat house a colony of African Penguins. All the trees down by boulders beach grow at about a 45 to 60 degree angle due to the wind. When you first see them you think, did I smoke something funny?

Today we went great white shark cage diving. We got up at 5 am to make the trek out to Gansbaai. Had our briefing, boarded the boat and put on some super thick wet suits. I asked our marine biologist if I happen to shat in my suit if it would be ok...because these sharks are BIG. I went in once, 5 minutes was enough for me but Ryan went twice and spent a total of 30 minutes in the water. The water is super cold and murkey - you can almost see more on top of the boat. We saw 11 sharks in total and the biggest was 3.5 metres. At one point one of the sharks bite right onto the cage, it was crazy. Asides from that, they do seem like calm, curious, and inquisitive creatures....

Hoping to get out to Robben Island and Table Mountain in the next few days..stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



23rd February 2010

Wow!!
Jason is going to DIE of jealousy when he hears about the shark diving! Love the pics and stories. Thanks for taking the time to blog. Looks like another fabulous Menzel Adventure! Mwah!!
24th February 2010

Ted and Connie Response
Hi Guys! Nice that you've made it down there safe and sound. Very interesting - read all (4) of them. We will check the Blogs daily. In this short while, you have seen quite abit already. Being on that South tip and the shark cage was quite intriguing to us. You'll have to let us know more when you get home. An update from us - We came back from Aruba yesterday. Just loved it. Temp 31C-34C daily, sunny, windy with trade winds as you have at the Cape. Trees also have that definite side ways angle. Ryan, hope all is well with your health - we are always thinking of both of you guys! Love - Mom and Dad ~~~
24th February 2010

Wine and rugby
Ok, I'm sold: South Africa is next on the list. Are people as friendly as they say? Edward and I watched a South African movie the other night (District 9) and it made me want to go to SA. Now your blog is the coup de grace.
25th February 2010

What happened.....
You forgot to send me my ticket to join you in Cape Town!!!! I am patiently waiting. Looks like your trip is going wonderfully, glad to hear you are having such an awesome time. I see that you appreciated Heidelberg, we spent only a few hours there last fall and fell in love with it, definitely a place I want to go back to. Take care and continue to enjoy! Donna
25th February 2010

Amazing!
Wow! Cape Town looks amazing. Glad to hear you enjoyed the rugby experience. Looks like a nice stadium! The penguin and shark photos are incredible and i loved the "look under your car for penguins" sign. You didn't say whether you "shat" in your wetsuit. Although 5 minutes probably isn't enough time to accomplish that feat...
25th February 2010

Whoa!
Those sharks are gnarly!!!
6th March 2010

Jaws
Wow, your trip just sounds incredible. Great job Megan!
14th March 2010

cape town is my dream
i love cape town so much

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb