Township Tour


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town » West Beach
May 22nd 2008
Published: May 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today Dori and I went on a Township Tour. From what I understand a township is an area of black or coloured people only. There is a difference between "black" and "coloured" We spent the first hour learning about the history of the Cape, Apartheid and post Apartheid. The first township we visited was for black folk. These townships were established at times of Apartheid to segregate the people from the white. Attached are photos of the places we visited. The people who live in the townships have started up their own businesses within the township - often it is in a metal storage container. They can sell anything and everything or provide services out of these small areas. The homes are very small - always 2 rooms and the walls are adjoining other homes. The toilet is in the back in a separate building. They often build shacks onto these homes to house their extended family. The total square footage of the homes may be 150 sq ft. and it may have 5 - 9 people. On the outskirts of the township people have put up shacks - these are made out of whatever they can find and the inside would be no larger than 50 or 60 sq ft. The string a wire in for electricity, and use the bucket system for toilets. Inside they often have T.Vs, stereos etc and sometimes even a satellite dish on the roof. We also went into hostels and apartments - but the photos are on Dori's camera so will load later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

kidskids
kids

These cute little kids were at alot of the doorways as we drove by. They were all shouting an Africao word which I can't remember but the meaning was "white folk"
Cooking sheepheadsCooking sheepheads
Cooking sheepheads

Sheepheads were being cooked outside in front of alot of the shacks. These would then be sold to passers by.
ShacksShacks
Shacks

At least 70,000 people are living in conditions like this. Each shack has electricity and running water. It is a bucket toilet system. The laundry is done at a community well where they pump water.
A lady we visited in the townshipA lady we visited in the township
A lady we visited in the township

This lady is a medicine woman and a teacher.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb