Truck Trip - Orange River


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Northern Cape » Orange River
July 25th 2010
Published: November 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

As Africa is so large, some days on the truck are simply travelling days. Luckily we can amuse ourselves, the seats are comfy for napping and reading and there are 2 tables of 4 at the back for chatting or cards. The game of the trip is cribbage, which we play without the board but score correctly anyway using paper and pen. Better than the day we played poker without chips so just bet willy nilly, trillions of dollars went down. Worst was Jon losing to Megan when he bet a real item, cooking duty!
Also for the start of the trip the roads are smooth and surfaced so the ride is comfortable. Later into Namibia the bare gravel roads are bumpy and make playing cards even more of a challenge...
After a day on the truck with only bush pee stops and a sandwich lunch by the side of the road, we are ready for some fun. After sunset over the Orange River it's my group, The A Team's, turn to cook. The girls prepare the veg salad and potato salad while Ben is in charge of the braai, he is the firestarter after all. Huge steaks and sausages, it's brilliant. The camp site then takes a disliking to us as we have so much fun that we attract other truck's passengers over and clear the bar of people for our fire pit instead. The party continues to the early hours, with music blaring, school children trying to steal our booze, Helena trying to get into random tents and carnage left around the fire. No other truck can believe we're only on day 2, this group is amazing! Also due to a sleazy man cracking onto Megan, she has to claim Tony, the driver, is the love of her life to escape which leads to a fake wedding later in the trip...
4 of the girls have learnt their lesson from the freezing night before, and they now sleep 4 to a tent and use their other tent for dressing, formally known as the boudoir.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0838s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb