Journey to Rustenberg


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » North West » Rustenburg
December 3rd 2012
Published: December 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Raining Cats and DogsRaining Cats and DogsRaining Cats and Dogs

Cleansing rain as we journey to Rustenberg
It was raining cats and dogs, as my mother used to say, when we left OR TAMBO International Airport for the long drive to Rustenberg.

Uncle Dave took the freeway so we could miss the traffic. We were treated with some amazing country side. Some of which was familiar and some so sad. Signs to Pretoria Hartbeesport dam, Brits, Mooinooi, Marikana all familiar. Then Dave and Pauline's home appears over the rise. Amazing view. Amazing decor. Amazing life. Peaceful, serene and idealic.

After settling in for an hour or so, Aunty Pauline took us on a cook's tour of Rustenberg. We got to see our old church building, now the offices for a car sales yard; our Wimpy bar we frequented every Sunday, now a black African lair; and Grenville High School, now a primarily black school. What saddened me the most was the plethora of rubbish that lined every street and business entry.

Pauline then took us to Milky Lane for a banana and Bar one (Mars Bar) waffle to share. Washed down with a chai tea. Milk shakes were our usual reason to visit here.

We completed the evening waiting for Ailine and David to
Freeway to RustenbergFreeway to RustenbergFreeway to Rustenberg

Amazing driving rules in SA!
arrive, while eating a beautifully cooked, chicken and broccoli bake, bean and mushroom side dish, and butternut pumpkin mash. The meal was rudely interrupted by a thunderous clap and a massive downpour followed by a blackout. Candlelight dinner was a treat. Ailine and David arrived late after being not by the storm.

We retreated early to our beautiful rooms.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb