South Africa 3 weeks in!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Nelspruit
October 28th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok people, this is my second proper blog... it really is a run-about to get to internet properly.. but i,m here now!
So still in the Township of Kanyamazane, its stilll bloody hot, and im still 'volunteering' in the school! i think i said before how many similarities there are with Mansfield... guess kids are kids and the fun and joveality of school life is universal!!!! And in reply to anne-marie, i think ofstead would have a field-day... but thats the least of the schools problems!

But it is interesting, trying to get the kids to understand what im on about is a challenge itself, never mind trying to teach 'life orientation' and the meaning behind stereotypes, biased and discrimination!!!!

My SiSwati is struggling i have to say.... i think by now iv'e learnt that Make (pronounced Mage) is mother, Gogo is grandmother, Kunjani is how are you? and Sawabone is hello etcc... but, i was never really good at languages!

Meal times still mainly consist of 'pap', in between porridge and mash potato, and bean soup thingy, and umbito,, a kind of bitter spinach and leaf mixed with sauce of some kind!!!\Oh, and last weekend we had a real African Braii, Prepared a cows head (which took a day) then cooked and ate it!!!

Anyway, next week hopefully off touring round south africa, see what the rest of it is like, maybe get a proper beer in Cape town or something! As for now im going to try and uplod some photo's of life here!

Sanbonani!!!
joel

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb