before the adventure


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Nelspruit
November 4th 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, i in Nelspuit still, but just before i head off on a little adventure.. a trip within a trip one might say! Been in Nelspuit/kanyamazane for 4 weeks now.. and it has been interesting, however the reality of getting up at 5.30 every morning to go teach in school is now starting to drag a little to be honest! its time for a little more, holiday/travel type experience, so im planning a month long trip around South Africa starting in Jo'burg tomorrow!

Sitting on the balcony of my African family home this morning, after a tremendous thunderstorm last night, got me thinking about the strangeness of travel, and its ups and downs! when i first got here... people talk about a honeymoon period of extended travel, where you feel great about everything and cannot get enough, before tyhe reality of homesickness sets in, however i never really feel this. When i went to America i get the alarm bells ringing feeling at first... thinking of excuses why i had to go back home... and the SA arrival was a little like this! its hard starting in a new place, especially one so alien, and it always takes a little time to adjust!... but yeh sitting there this morning was strange, ive had this feeling that i really want to get out of Kanyamazane and see something different/more exciting/more adventurous/whatever!

The thing was that i looked out at the encircling hills that enclose the township and wander, if i want to get away from my safety zone of, doing the easy thing.. following the family, where ever people go... going to school each morning, getting through frustrating, yet interesting days of not being sure that the teacher's know what i'm on about, never mind the children! Like i said before, the idea of going down the street to the shop, or getting a taxi all the way to town, seemed like an achievement for me... and this was kind of installed by the people i meet, " oh, you got to town by yourself.. oh you brave...eih, you didn't get lost?" etc...

but yeh, it is strangely frustrating and comforting situation at the same time... but really not what i came on a trip for! so im heading off, to see/experiance different places whatever you call it, and hopefully start to get more into the mode taking things in, rather than being a passenger!

But thanks to those who leave messages... read this... its nice to hear from you, when not having access to the internet all the time

joelx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb