kruger park and onward


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Kruger National Park
September 26th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

i met a couple of americans, carissa and liz, and we decided to visit kruger national park on the cheap. we rented a car and bought groceries, then headed to kruger. there we saw tons of elephants, ungulates, giraffes, rhinos'black and white, a huge black python, some strange birds. not to forget lions, warthogs (no they werenºt dancing but we kept joking about it), water buffalo and a hyena. we all camped next to some great south africans after having to tell the park personnel that we were sharing a campsite. they were booked and wanted to kick us out of the park. i remembered doing the same in yellowstone national park so we tried it and it worked.

then we three hopped a local minivan to swaziland, for mlilwane national park. we had an interesting trip as a tire blew out and we nearly tipped over. we didnºt, so all is well. i saw more of the same animals and this time i got some better photos. sadly, i got delete happy and deleted some videos from the phone. it doesnºt matter to much as i donºt know what i deleted anyhow.

i am currently in mozambique(sc). i finally have some time to catch up a bit with writing as we have been having a storm system move through. other than losing power every so often and having to redo all as well as dealing with an overdrawn bank account, all is well.

i hope these pictures tell stories worth thousands of words. some of you will i am sure appreciate brevity! lol!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

grass hutgrass hut
grass hut

i must add titles so excuse the unimaginative, i am on a time constraint. banking problems this morning.
fire towerfire tower
fire tower

i hiked a few hours, to and from, a fire tower. my host is in next foto.
fire tower hostfire tower host
fire tower host

i enjoyed his company. the three guys outside asking for money, not so much!
ungulatesungulates
ungulates

two toed beasts.
ungulates collecting pecansungulates collecting pecans
ungulates collecting pecans

i collected some as well and used on a rice dish and on my cereal. yummy!
dung beetle dancedung beetle dance
dung beetle dance

they were funny, running and tumbling with their booty (excuse the pun?). they were both moving backwards too. i think this may have been a deleted video. darn.
find the eland(?)find the eland(?)
find the eland(?)

i think it may be an eland.
transporttransport
transport

no i am not on my way to school, this is a long haul, intercountry bus. south africa to swaziland.
mozambique toolmozambique tool
mozambique tool

this is the most worn tool i have ever seen. it was being used this day.
ferry to the ferryferry to the ferry
ferry to the ferry

i didnºt have the heart to ride.
check the patchwork.check the patchwork.
check the patchwork.

one had a pair of jeans sewn in. the foto didnºt work out.
lucky melucky me
lucky me

i got lucky enough to catch this one all alone. just the crew wanted to cross in what turned out to be fairly poor conditions. they laughed when i showed my in case we swim bag with all valuables. shortly afterwards all crossings were discontinued. i had to ride around the bay to return to my lodgings. this was only after i took a nap seaside and woke up covered in sand, i had to cover my face while asleep cause it stung so much.


Tot: 0.462s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.1081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb