Wild Dogs at last!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Hazyview
July 3rd 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.0557, 31.1318

Head into the park for our last full day and night before we have to head out for the next part of our adventure. As we were heading to Berg en dahl we saw eleven rhino at various places as we drove along and then as we were heading down the road to Berg en dahl, the wild dogs came up the road toward us!

We got to spend quite a bit of time with them as they were moving back and forth and would disappear and then reappear and must have had a kill somewhere nearby because when we saw them again, they looked fuller than before and then off they went to where we think they had a den site. The reason we believe this is they were in two groups and they all headed off to the same place and never reappeared.

Drove the Stellberg road where we last saw them and got to see two maned lion on the side of the road and then two more near the waterhole resting in the shade. A big male elephant passed very close to them but must not have picked up their scent because did not charge them.

Did our evening drive and went to check out the lions we had seen earlier. They were still there but did not seem to be moving. Headed back out to main road and saw two honey badgers on the move. Very nice. Back on the main road saw seven more rhino and the last rhino was at a waterhole where an elephant appeared and trumpeted at the rhino. Guess he wanted to water.

Was a great way to end our adventure in Kruger and will head back to Rob's in the morning.




Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb