Our Favorite Rest Camps in Kruger National Park


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Hazyview
July 5th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -25.0557, 31.1318

A friend asked us to give some information about camping in Kruger National Park and which ones were our favorites and so hopefully this will answer many of those questions.

In South Africa, areas set aside for sleeping, eating and shopping overnight are called 'Rest Camps.'

We have experienced many of the camps at Kruger National Park and do have our favorites to be sure. Before we actually get to the park, Robert especially does a lot of research and reading information on the SanParks Forum. There you can ask questions and read what others are saying about the park.

This year one of our concerns was the drought that is affecting all areas of the park. The further north you go the drier it gets. Of course we can only speak for the park as far north as Mopani because none of the camps we stayed in were further north than that. Many of the waterholes have dried up and there are not many that are having water being pumped to them. Therefore there is very little wildlife to see in those areas.

Our favorite rest camps are pretty much in order north to south---

Letaba

Maroela- this is a satellite camp where you check in at Orpen gate.

Olifants- this main camp does not have tent camping but we splurge and stay in a room

Satara- the Sl00 and the H6 and the road that connects these two are good for the lions and leopards and other game as well
*****Another favorite from here is the Timbavati Road (S39) We like to take it from Satara toward Orpen and then turn on the S39. Check the turnouts and there is a nice picnic area on this road as well.
Another nice ride is the S90 to the S41 which will allow you to reconnect with the S100 as well.
The main road between Satara and the Tshokwane picnic area (H1-3) was very good for the lion sightings this year.

Skukuza-Skukuza-and Lower Sable are our top two favorites. These two camps are our favorite camps because there are so many roads to check out and explore! Here are some of fav roads....
left at the first intersection-
down to the river road turning either left or right there is a gravel road along the river......some good sighting there
H4-1 toward Lower Sabie taking some of the side roads to the right and cross the bridge
Right at the intersection.......
H11 to the Lake Panic Hide....nice viewing...and this year there was a mother leopard and her cubs coming to the waterhole
H11 to S1 toward Phabeni Gate and then to one of our favorites..
****S65 Waterhole Road---have seen all sorts of wildlife on this road over the years, no cheetah but all the others which brings you to Numbi Road (H1-1) Have spent a lot of time Phabeni to Waterhole to Numbi or the other way around

Pretoriuskop- You come in the Numbi gate to this camp and so some of the same roads mentioned above are the ones we have used. Suggestion:Be sure and get either one of the books with all the roads or a map and explore side roads and other roads on your own impulses!
Note for some.....they have the nicest laundry facilities with two washer, two dryer and a very large outdoor clothesline!

Berg-en-dahl-Near the southernmost end of the park so good place to camp if you are heading back to Johannesburg .......no real favorites but did some of the loops near the camp

In past years, we have stayed in two other camps; Balule and Malelane both of which are satellite camps. Balule is a very rustic camp with no power and so you have lanterns at night and a gas stove. Is nice but the bridge to get there was under construction so had to make a big circle to get there so changed our date for there. You check in at Olifants for this camp.

Malelane is another satellite camp and you check in at Berg-en dahl. The biggest problem with this camp is it is near the sugercane fields and at certain times of the year you hear the machines going day and night harvesting the cane.

So there it is............hope will help some plan their trip!!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb