Mozambique on short notice Day 14 & 15. Sodwana, Shelly beach and East London


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal
April 10th 2012
Published: April 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 14 & 15 – Sodwana, Shelly Beach and East London

We now have to drive back in known or at least partially known country and are not looking forward to it after the past days of exploration. We decide to stay off toll-roads and highways as far as possible.

Driving the old and now secondary roads was a the best decision we could have made with the available driving time we had to our disposal. We stuck to the N2 up to Richards Bay. Then we took the R102 to Durban. We were happy and surprised with a beautiful and scenic road with acceptable traffic density.

It started raining again and by the time we reached the outskirts of Durban it was nasty weather without a doubt. We took to the highway from here and can be classified as the worst drive of our complete trip. Boring, wet, windy and unpleasant.

Thanks to the nice warm hospitality, curry and room waiting for us in Shelly Beach there was something to look forward to.

The next day we got away late and took the road via Port St. Johns, over Mtata to East London.

At Lusikisiki we decided to “quickly” turn off to Magwa, one of the hidden secrets of our country. After a brief visit to Magwa Falls, getting a camera wet, getting our selves wet and enjoying beautiful scenes from something which can easily be confused with Ceylon, we set off to Port St. Johns. This road is bikers paradise. One day I am going to count the number of turns.

We filled up in Mtata and arrived in East London at about 21:00 that evening.

The end of our trip.

To summarise the last two days is not difficult. We have a beautiful country and if you want to experience some Africa without driving far, go to Mtata.

The bug has bitten and you can expect a lot more travel information from me in the future.

The information will become more relevant to people who want to do motorcycle trips and less of a story.

I am very grateful for the opportunity and want to thank all who contributed or sacrificed as a result of it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb