KwaZulu-Natal Summer School


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Pietermaritzburg
December 27th 2006
Published: February 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

rondavelsrondavelsrondavels

These rondavels easily slept 4, or 8 with bunk beds. We had one to ourselves.
We spent this holiday season attending a Baha'i summer school in KwaZulu-Natal with many of our friends, and we made many new friends. Baha'i activities are always quite a mix of people who really enjoy each other. This summer school had people from South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Japan, Canada and the U.S. attending. We stayed in an African rondaval, complete with a thatched roof, took cold showers every day and ate a typical local diet that was high in starch. The classes were quite interesting and we really got into the wonderfully spirited Baha'i African music.

Among the new friends we met were Gilbert and Tabitha, an older couple from Tshwane (Pretoria). These remarkable people played important roles in the development of the Baha'i Faith in South Africa. Gilbert served on one of the first interracial assemblies, during the period in which they were banned by the South African government. Later Tabitha became a strong avocate urging Baha'is not to become involved in partisan politics during the later years of apartheid and during the early days of the new republic. Gilbert was also the first black ever invited to become a member of the South African Association of Architects.
Singing and drumming!Singing and drumming!Singing and drumming!

Every time we got together as a group, there was singing, drumming and dancing together, as well as prayers. It was absolutely fantastic!
Gilbert and Tabitha were invited to represent the Baha'i Faith at the reception for Queen Elizabeth II during her last visit to South Africa.

Other new friends included Taraz and Atiano and their two charming children, Andalib (9) and Adwet (5). Taraz is a research physician, Kenyan of Persian descent, working for the U.S. Center for Disease Control in Botswana. Atiano is also Kenyan, of the Lua, and used to work as a lawyer in international banking. She is now a stay-at-home mom/home school teacher. Taraz's great-grandfather knew Baha'u'llah and Abdul-Baha. It gave us a very special feeling to know somebody, who knew somebody, who knew the central figures in the Baha'i Faith. Bob was touched by the fact that there were only three degrees of separation between him and a Manifestation of God.

Another new friend at the summer school was Hiro, a Baha'i from Japan who was attending his third summer school program in Africa. Hiro was truly delighted by the diversity of the African Baha'i community and shared his feelings with everyone on his blog when he returned home to Japan.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

soccer in the hills of KwaZulu-Natalsoccer in the hills of KwaZulu-Natal
soccer in the hills of KwaZulu-Natal

The camp was set in the beautiful green summery hills near Howick.
ballroom dancing lessonsballroom dancing lessons
ballroom dancing lessons

Yes, ballroom dancing lessons, led by a 13-year-old, and it was great. Bob and I learned the cha-cha.
the weaversthe weavers
the weavers

One of our activities was weaving together, little squares that all get connected into a larger piece, demonstrating spiritual principles of universal participation and building a new society.
universal participation sometimes requires helpuniversal participation sometimes requires help
universal participation sometimes requires help

Karen helps Andy with the weaving.
weaving: coming togetherweaving: coming together
weaving: coming together

Some of the finished squares are sewn together.
from Botswana and Kenyafrom Botswana and Kenya
from Botswana and Kenya

Taraz, Atilano and their children along with the Counsellor from Kenya. See Adwet's famous fierce smile?


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb