A Week in Durban


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
December 5th 2008
Published: December 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent a week in Durban visiting friends and family and eating and drinking non-stop.

We started by making a surprise visit to a baby shower for someone we hadn’t seen for about 10 years.

A lunch for 14 had been arranged at Budd’s on the Bay, a casual restaurant with a great atmosphere that overlooks the small boats in the bay. We spent our time working our way around the table making sure we got to speak to all of our camping club friends and catch up on all their news.

A supper at Waxy’s for old times sake - how come wherever you travel there is an Irish pub.

We had a trip to Umhlanga beach to see the sea and had lunch overlooking the Indian ocean on a lovely sunny day. Another day we went to Ushaka which is a new development of a marine world, some shops and lots of eating places and had lunch in the Cargo Hold (of an old ship) which has a large aquarium in the middle so you can sit and watch the fish and sharks swim past as you eat. Then we finished up at the casino
Cargo Hold RestaurantCargo Hold RestaurantCargo Hold Restaurant

Hope they didn't mind me eating their relatives.
donating towards their Christmas fund!

We have eaten so many prawns and calamari since being here, a plate of 8 queen prawns and calamari with chips or salad only costs £4 so you can see why we aren’t eating toasted sandwiches.

Our last night in Durban was Thursday and a friend phoned to say he had two spare tickets to see Rod Steward and would we like to come? Well we thought about it - for about 2 seconds - and said yes we’d love to. We had a fantastic night, I can really recommend seeing him, he was such a performer, sang all his old songs, really talked to the crowd and had everyone singing and dancing.

It was held in the rugby stadium and it rained nearly all night but it didn’t matter. We had a drink before the start and I asked for a glass of wine. They sell it by the half bottle and as it’s glass you can’t take it in with you so they pour the whole thing into a pint tumbler - it did last me all night and no wonder I didn’t mind the rain.

Friday we drove back to Johannesburg to get ready for the highlight of the South African holiday, a week in Pilanesberg game reserve with Aaron and Lynor. The men packed the trailer and the ladies went shopping - it’s what we do best. We managed to get pretty much done in time to see the final of the sevens rugby being played in south Africa between South Africa and New Zealand - SA won of course.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Umhlanga BeachUmhlanga Beach
Umhlanga Beach

We watched this carving while we had lunch.
Drinks beforeDrinks before
Drinks before

Now that is what I call a glass of wine.
Durban RainDurban Rain
Durban Rain

The first person to say they didn't think it rained in Africa is a wally.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb