Rescued from the Township (and The Big 5 at Kruger)


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
October 3rd 2008
Saved: November 30th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Natal Sharks Board DurbanNatal Sharks Board DurbanNatal Sharks Board Durban

Laini cage diving with the sharks. Note the lack of diving equipment.
We were told all along in Cape Town that the weather in Durban is the best in winter time. Hot and sunny, but not too hot to handle. We were looking forward to a little sun, surf and sand time. Unfortunately, as our luck would have it, it rained buckets the entire time we were in Durban. Well, that's a little exageration ... we did get a reprieve on the Sunday, but it was still windy and cool. Even though it chucked rain all day on Saturday, we did venture out to the beach to watch the surfers (apparently the water was warmer than the air) and tried to imagine what the beach front must be like when it is warm and sunny. We got soaked to the skin and were very happy that our room at the backpackers was really warm. On Sunday our main priority was to visit the Natal Sharks Board and see the shark dissection. As that wasn't happening until the afternoon we decided to check out an IMAX film on the annual Sardine Run up the Eastern Coast of South Africa. We didn't really even know about the sardine run until we were in Durban and
Sharks BoardSharks BoardSharks Board

The small Great White Shark waiting for dissection.
started seeing brochures about it. Now that we know more, it sounds like a fantastic sight and we would love to witness it one day.

The Sharks Board manages shark nets that run up and down the Durban coast line to provide safe swimming beaches for the public. They remove the nets during the annual sardine run and warn the public that they swim at their own risk. The nets unfortunately do catch all manner of sea life. They are checked every morning and the live sea animals are cut loose and released. Those that are dead are brought back to the Sharks Board and are used for the public dissections and other research. They are also researching many other less harmful ways of keeping the beaches shark-free. The shark that was up for dissection was a small Great White Shark, just a juvenile according to the presenter. It was somewhat morbid and gross, but also very interesting and entertaining. They have done a very good job of presenting the sharks as peaceful mammals of the sea, rather than cold-blooded killers. One of the best ads that they ran was of people running out of the sea screaming (a
Family in Pietermaritzburg Family in Pietermaritzburg Family in Pietermaritzburg

From left to right back: Uncle Basil, Laini, Jeremy, Stormy, Noah, Roxanne, Jeremy, Peter From left to right front: Jade (standing), Leanne, Sharon, Auntie Gladys (standing)
la 'Jaws') and then the camera focusses on the culprit and it is a common dining room chair. The screen reads: "Chairs killed over 1000 South Africans last year. Sharks killed two." An excellent advertising team came up with that one!

From Durban we headed to Pietermartizburg, which is inland about 50km from Durban. Our purpose here was to see more of Peter's relatives. His Uncle Basil, Auntie Gladys and cousin Sharon are living here and we wanted to stop by and say hello. We spent most of the following day with them, Peter got caught up with his uncle and aunt after not seeing them in over 20 years. We were also very lucky to get to meet all of Sharon's family, her husband Stormy, her two daughters Leanne and Roxanne, their husbands and Leanne's gorgeous little girl Noah. Even though we spent such a short time with them, it was hard to leave as we felt as though we had known them forever. We had to leave to get to Jo'Burg as the car was due back soon.

Driving into Jo'burg was definitely a little nervewracking, but not as bad as we both had thought it
Scenery on N3Scenery on N3Scenery on N3

Between Pietermartizburg and Johannesburg. Very dry.
would be. We had images of hi-jackers on every corner and it is just not like that at all. You definitely have to be careful, but it is not like every person is trying to steal from you.

We found a backpackers brochure that had directions, so we chose that place to stay. We knew when we arrived that it was not in the best area of town, but at least we had a place to stay. It wasn't until we were settled at the backpackers and checked our email that I had heard from Roger, a friend of mine in Jo'burg. Now it is not Roger's fault, I didn't email him until we were in Durban that we were on our way to Jo'burg. He was away as it was the weekend and only emailed when he got the chance once he was home. I was hoping that we would get to see Roger for coffee or drinks and have a chat, but Roger had other plans for us. He picked us up at the airport, where we had to return The Tick, and took us back to his place to give us the keys to his VW citi golf so we would have transport. He then took us for a drive and lunch and then to meet his partner Hildriette. They both were very curious as to where we were staying and when I mentioned that the neighborhood Alexandria was close by they both exploded!! Hildriette demanded that we stay with her. She has the room and she would not have us staying "in Alex". Turns out, Alexandria is one of Jo'burgs townships. We were not staying in the middle of it, and we were not frightened to be there, but we certainly felt somewhat isolated by our location. Without further ado, Roger took us straight back to the backpackers, packed our bags into his Xtrail and drove us to first to his place to pick up the car and then we followed him to Hildriette's house in a far nicer (read: LUXURY) part of town. Roger always introduced us as the Canadians he rescued from the Township!

We went from a fairly seedy backpackers to 5-star luxury at Hildriette's beautiful house. It was a very relaxing time, chatting with Roger, Hildriette and her good friend Ruann. We knew we were leaving soon so we did a little shopping to stock up on a few things and replace some torn or worn out clothes. At this point, we were still determined to leave Jo'burg, travel the entire length of South Africa on a bus and head to Namibia. We were also sad, but sure we would not be able to visit Kruger Park. Roger is very convincing and after a couple of days we had changed our plans completely. We now had a two day trip to Kruger planned, and would be exiting South Africa into Mozambique.

Roger's friend John joined us on the Kruger trip, and it was like having two rangers in our vehicle and a personalized tour of the park. John grew up in the park as his father was a ranger. His knowledge of birds and wildlife is remarkable for a young man of 22 or 23. Roger loves the bush and gets to the park at any opportunity and is quickly gaining as much knowledge of the park and it's birds, animals, trees, plants etc. as John and his father have.

Our first night was spent in Nelspruit at the home of Roger's cousin. This was a wonderful beginning
Nile CrocNile CrocNile Croc

Kruger Park, Waiting for lunch
to our Kruger trip as they live in a nature reserve. We walked out to nearby pond in the dark to listen to all the toads croaking and crickets chirping. Peter and I had a Nyala visit the french doors of our room in the early hours of the morning as he munched on the nice green grass surrounding the house. The best part was the 4 meercats that Roger's cousin has house trained. They are so cute!! They were pretty disoriented at being woken up by us, but they warmed up and all came out to check us out and cuddle with us.

I can honestly say, that if I had visited Africa and went home without seeing the Big 5, I would have been sad, but not disappointed, because there is so much more to this beautiful continent than just the Big 5. However, when we started ticking off the Big 5 sightings before lunch, I couldn't believe our luck! We had seen Buffalo, Elephant, Lion, and Leopard all before lunch. Shortly after lunch we completed our Big 5 list with Rhino sightings. But we saw so much more than the Big 5. We saw hyena, hippos,
Water BuffaloWater BuffaloWater Buffalo

Kruger Park. Looking out for the Lions.
impala, waterbuck, bushbuck, nyala, kudu, large-spotted genet, giraffes (the camel horse is my new favourite animal!), crocodiles, turtles, and birds, birds and more birds! We were only able to see a small part of the park but we were very impressed with the way it was set up with accommodations and camping. It was fantastic and both Peter and I will tell you it was worth overstaying our South African visas for.

Having Roger and John as our personal guides was awesome, and they have succeeded in whetting our appetites for more adventures in the Kruger. Look out boys - we'll be back!!

We spent two nights in Nelspruit before leaving for Maputo in Mozambique, wondering what our punishment at the border would be. Our penalty for overstaying our visas by 2 days was a 1,000 Rand fine for each of us. We did not have to pay leaving the country, but we will have to pay when we return to South Africa. We decided that the fine was better than detainment or jail and we wouldn't trade our Kruger experience for anything, so we'll pay the fine if and when we return to South Africa.

We
Ground HornbillGround HornbillGround Hornbill

Kruger Park. A face only a mother can love. And check out those eyelashes!
are now in Maputo and will be leaving for a beach resort area to enjoy some of that sun, sand and sea that we have been looking for. It is VERY hot here, and muggy too. We are having to acclimatize to the hot weather again.

We will travel north through Mozambique and then cross over into Malawi, travel up Malawi and into Tanzania. Next will be Kenya and Rwanda and then where is anyone's guess! The plan as it stands now (and we all know how often this changes!), is to come back south via Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and back into South Africa. We'll see!

So, we're on the road again! We have heard that internet cafes are harder to come by the further north we get in Moz, so we'll try to update as often as we can!

Lots of love,
Laini and Peter


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 28


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Ground HornbillGround Hornbill
Ground Hornbill

Crazy looking, large bird that you would not want to meet in a dark alley.
Hippo Hippo
Hippo

We finally got a good shot of a hippo out of the water. It is hard to believe they are africas' number one man killer!
Wide Lipped Rhino (aka White Rhino)Wide Lipped Rhino (aka White Rhino)
Wide Lipped Rhino (aka White Rhino)

We had an amazing two days with a total of spotting 25 Rhino, wow they are big!
Marabou StorkMarabou Stork
Marabou Stork

Holding up traffic as they crossed the road.
LionnessLionness
Lionness

This first lion passed right beside our vehicle. What an amazing lion sighting!
LionnessLionness
Lionness

Look no fences or a cage! This second lion followed shortly after the first, again, right beside us.
Camel HorseCamel Horse
Camel Horse

They are such amazing creatures that for as large as they are, they completley blend into their surroundings. Camel Horse is the direct translation of the Afrikaans word for Giraffe into English. We liked it and called them Camel Horses for the rest of our tour.


Comments only available on published blogs

5th October 2008

Our pleasure
It was a pleasure to have you guys here with us. Come back and we will show you the rest of this amazing place. You forgot to mention that you were standing 30 cm away from a hippos back. Greenbacked parrot is a Brown Headed Parrot and the Wahlbergs Eagle is a Dark Chanting Goshawk. Everything else is right, well done. See you guys soon.
6th October 2008

Hi Guys!
Wow...I finally caught up on months of blogs (I know I'm horrible), but Laini , you know its hard being on the road touring with Keith Urban and everything!! LOL Seriously though, what a wonderful trip you've had so far-I love the stories and the pics are amazing. Miss you much...keep safe! xo
6th October 2008

Oops
Thanks for the reminder about sitting on a hippo's back! How could I forget that! We appreciate the correct bird names, we were sure you or John would correct us! Thanks! pnl
6th October 2008

Hey.
Ha ha, I'd lie if I said I didn't have a quiet laugh about the Greenbacked Parrot, I think me and Rog must have mentioned them so often that you blocked it out! I've got to say thanks to you guys for being absolutely amazing and for putting up with me and Rog and our Greenbacked Parrots, and next time we'll try our very best to get you close to a hippo;). Have a fantastic trip and I hope to see you guys again in a few months time, I'll start chilling the beers so long for sundowners at Crook's corner!!
6th October 2008

Fantastic Journey!
Hello PnL! I have finally had the time to catch up on ALL the blogs! I have to say the journals and the pictures are absolutely amazing. It is definitely a trip of a lifetime. I have not been able to get Mom(Gladys to read all the blogs, hoefully on Wednesday, she'll be here in the evening), I know she'll enjoy the family photos. I had someone ask me when you are planning on returning, I was not sure. Do you have date? Kelly is in Lagos, Nigeria until the 13th of October, so if you are back in the area, i'll send you his email there. NB. It's dipping down to 2 degrees celcius on Friday here in Calgary. Unfortunately, winter is on it's way already. Maybe a lengthened stay is warranted?? Take care, safe travels and blog soon! Love Julie, Kelsea and Austin
6th October 2008

Safe Travels!
It's so wonderful to hear about your travels! I'm sorry that they may get fewer and further between! Travel safe and have way too much fun!
15th October 2008

Thank you for the postcard!!!
We received your postcard today!!! Thank you so much! The girls loved the photos of all the animals. Thank you so much for staying in touch....can't wait for the entry about Mozambique...have always wanted to go there! Safe travels! Lots of love, The Roberts Family
23rd October 2008

Still Jealous

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb