Been doing a bunch of stuff!!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
December 8th 2007
Published: December 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone! Just popped on line quickly to let you know what ive been up to. Well.....

Im no longer in Bloem, however before we left we did a few interesting things. We went out for a night on the town and spent most of the night in a funky bar called Mystic Boer, lots of happy fun people, great music and fit guys (Meeko would have loved it!)
We also went swimming and played mini golf (I kicked Frans' arse! Hehe!) in the gorgeous sun!
Before we left Bloem we managed to fit in the night market. This place was awesome, it was a market at night (as you probably guessed!) and there was lots of cheap African things to buy, most of which were made by the people themselves. Got some prezzies for people from here!

So we left Bloemfontein and headed for Clarens, which is a really beautiful artists town (mum, you would have loved it!) and its surrounded by sandstone mountains. Here we stayed in a nice little back packers lodge and met this great guy called JP. He was staying in Clarens to do his white water instructor course, and asked his guide if we could tag along on the next session. This was awesome as we got to tag along on their next training session and do some more extreme and dangerous rapids than we would have with a commercial tour! WooHoo!

We then left Clarens and headed for Golden Gate National Park. We arrived here just in time to pich up the tent in the rain! But we then went for a drive (still in the rain) and saw some gorgeous mountain views, and a zebra walking with a black wildebeast, and had some baboons shout at us!

We then left Golden Gate early the next morning so we could head for the Drakensberg. However we got side tracked on the way and went to a Basotho cultural village. This was a little village set up for tourists so they can see how the Basotho people lived. We were taken around the village by a guide and we tried on some of their traditional clothes, and tried some of their traditional beer. (It tasted like animal!) We also had a witch doctor tell our fortunes.
So we then finally made it to the Drakensberg a little later than planned, but we still had time to climb the mountain that we had planned to climb. This was Mont-Aux-Sources, the mountain that has the second highest waterfall in the world flowing over the side of it! It was about a five hour hike in all and we saw some amazing scenery! The hike was on a path that was already mapped out, but it got a little scary in some places (especially when we lost the path and had to hunt for it!) Towards the top of the mountain there was 2 long chain ladders that we had to climb to the top. These were kinda high and scary, because if you slipped you would have died!!

Well we made it down the mountain safely and headed over to Margate (Near Durban) where we are staying at a holiday house with Frans' family till the 12th Dec. There are some really gorgeous beaches here but we are having British weather! It has been raining for the past couple of days but we still managed to have a braai (BBQ), proper British style! Hehe!

Well thats about it for now, chat soon!

😊 x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb