We are on Safari


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

May 9th We have arrived in Jurassic Park (minus the sounds) Our first ecounter with wild life was a Mother Zebra and her calf. She was grazing on the side of a very narrow dirt road that we were travelling through to get to camp. We saw several members of the antelope family - Impalas and Inyalas. We were greeted at the lodge with fresh iced tea and cake before we set off on our first safari. A beautiful grey faced monkey came to visit us on the terrace (really to steal the cake).

We travel in open jeeps - through the forests - we came across a mother cheetah and her 4 + 1 adopted babies who are all about 10 months old. One of the guests travelling with us does safari's all the time and he has NEVER seen 5 cheetah's at once. The cheetah's are so used to the sound of the vehicles that we can drive right up to them and as long as we don't stand up or get out we are safe. We sat and watched them play for at least 1/2 hour. We were so close we could hear them purring. Dusk was setting in when we set off and happened across a family of baboons. Dori and I were in hysterics. The "sentry" sat on an old fallen tree watching his tribe. He looked like Hill! We could just hear him saying "PRIVATE!" "OBSERVE!" Shortly after we came across a majestic male lion, lioness and two cubs. Absolutely spectacular. By now it is almost dark and pictures were difficult to get. They were making their way to the water hole and then just layed around.

May 10th - Safari this morning - left camp at 6:00 a.m. found some white rhinocerosses, the lions again on hunt, a massive bull solo elephant, several wart hogs and antelope. Wildebeast as well and some birds. It is beyond my wildest expectations. The weather, the food, the hospitality and friendliness of everone is all that we could have hoped for. This afternoon we are off to do a river tour where we may see some hippos and crocs! I will attempt to attach some photos.
Talk to you all soon!



Advertisement



12th May 2008

pictures
somewhere it said you have sent 12 pictures but none have come through........quite strange dont you think? Talking to you was very clear. Zach got home too late to call back as i know it's 9 hours ahead there. L
12th May 2008

Don't know why these photos aren't going through, they are on the travelblog but don't know why you cannot see them. Will try again to publish

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb