Africa Adventure Starts


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We made it to S. Africa and boy did we have a blast in the Hluhluwe Imfalozi Game Reserve. We saw 3 of the Big 5 within 5 minutes of entering the park. Those are the Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant. Saw tons of animals but no cats. We're waiting to see those in Chobe, I guess. We did see 3 African Wild Dogs -- twice. That is a very rare sight as there are only 35 in the park and 500 in all of S. Africa.

The lodge we stayed at was very nice with "over-the-top" quality food. Brady stuck to pasta for pretty much the entire time. In addition to the animals listed above, we saw tons of birds and many different kinds of antelope, zebras, giraffe, warthog, crocs, monkeys, baboons. They were all extremely close. One morning, we came upon a group of feeding elephants. They kinda got edgy because they had babies. They trumpeted and mocked a charge all within 20-30 feet. Now, we're off to Victoria Falls before travelling to Botswana (Chobe National Park and The Okavango Delta.

BTW -- Hluhluwe Imfalozi is the second-oldest game reserve in the world. The first is Yellowstone.

Cheers! Maybe we'll send a few shots later -- the camera plug is in my checked bag. (Happy Birthday Elaine, in 2 days.)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb