In South Africa at last


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
November 7th 2007
Published: November 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We finally got to Gatwick to book in for our Nationwide flight to Johannesburg after having followed a rolling roadblock for a few miles. Our luggage was a little on the heavy side in spite of having a 30kg allowance each as we were taking lots of camping equipment with us as well as a wedding dress for my daughter Kerry. We were told we had to get it down by 10kg so proceeded to offload a few pre-determined items we could manage without, these included our camping axe and spade (discreetly wrapped in plastic) which we can easily replace and our laptop as well, we somehow managed to squeeze in the 12v cooler box (essential for 40 degree heat travelling) so were quite happy.

The plane left on time and we were very impressed with Nationwide, the staff are very friendly and helpful. They first come round with the drinks trolley, then they bring round the starters - with the drinks trolley. Next comes the main course - with the drinks trolley, and finally the dessert trolley - no really! a huge coffee gatueax and large bowl of trifle, cheese and biscuits or fruit - oh and the drinks trolley! And they finish off with coffee in a large mug - not the normal tiny plastic cup. The only thing they don't have is the duty free - but hey, after all those drinks trolleys who cares!

Aaron met us at the airport (Lynor was at home studying for her final exam), we were the last through as after all the bags had been collected we were still missing our cooler box - someone's pinched that then we thought - and with that it was brought through to us - they explained it had been kept somewhere special as it was fragile! We really must not be so suspicious.

Lunch at the keg with delcious peri peri chicken livers, then out for supper and half a kilo of large prawns each (for GBP 5).

The weather is sunny and warm in the day and cool at night, the food is fantastic, the wine delicious, the people are very friendly and helpful, so far we are having a lovely time - of course we do miss everyone in the UK and fighting the traffic on the M20 but I am sure we can cope.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb