Out of Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Cape TownCape TownCape Town

A view from the harbour side. Table Mountain gives the city such a spectacular backdrop.
By the time you read this final entry to our Blog, Christine and I will be home after a fantastic trip. South Africa is the last stage of our round the world trip and in many respects we feel we have saved the best until last. It is by far the most interesting country we have visted. It is not always comfortable to be here and especially in the cities, but there is so much to see and do and a great climate.
Flying into CapeTown, with the sun rising over the Drakensberg Mountains was a real treat. Great views of the city and Table Mountain. Although initially sunny, by the third day we experienced a fifty year record drop in temperatures and even had some snow when we ventured to the top of Table Mountain. Nevertheless, this is a beautiful city and the surrounding beaches and countryside are spectacular. We took a trip down to Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope, with our first views of native wildlife, ostriches, 'jackass' penguins, baboons, impala and monkeys.
Seeking the warmer weather, we rented a car and drove along the 'Garden Route' and then up the eastern coast, which borders
Cape PointCape PointCape Point

The most southerly point on the continent of Africa.
the Indian Ocean. The sunshine returned as the countryside became less European and much more African. The Transkei is a beautiful but very poor region and we were able to experience Xhosa life and culture and enjoy the fantastic coastal scenery of the 'Wilderness Coast'.
Journeying on into Kwa Zulu Natal it became warmer still and the coastal areas are much more developed. This is Durban's playground and I can see why. Inland, however, is very different. We went in search of the battle grounds of the Zulu wars and managed to get to Rorke's Drift, famous if you have seen the film 'Zulu'. Unfortunately for us the roads almost disappeared so we drove for miles into the hills over dirt roads...not funny at the time. The scenery is huge and spectacular in the strong winter sunshine.
Our final escapade was into the Kruger National Park for a five day safari. Accommodation was a lovely tree house with outside shower and loo. No problem during the warm days but temperatures at night plummet. The first night we slept fully clothed under mounds of blankets. Being woken by the sounds of wild birds and animals each morning was just wonderful, however.
Robben IslandRobben IslandRobben Island

A visit to Robben Island with our guide, Vincent, an ex political prisoner. A grim place, but all the messages were of hope and reconciliation.
We managed to see four of Africa's 'Big Five', lions, elephants, buffaloes and rhinceros, but no leopards unfortunately.
We fly out of Johannesburg today. A couple of days in the city was enough. Crime rates are high and there are few places you can safely walk. Even in the suburbs where we are staying violent attacks are common. Two days ago our next door neighbour was hijacked by four armed men as we slept and his Mercedes stolen, while just down the road a primary school headmaster was shot dead defending his property. They have much to do to secure the cities for the 2010 World Cup.
All in all, definitely worth returning to. If you get the chance visit South Africa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Coastal BeautyCoastal Beauty
Coastal Beauty

South Africa is blessed with wonderful coastal scenery.
Winter on the Garden RouteWinter on the Garden Route
Winter on the Garden Route

A view of the coast on a wild day in Tsitsikama National Park.
Transkei TownTranskei Town
Transkei Town

As we drove north the towns were much more African with very few Europeans in evidence.
Xhosa LivingXhosa Living
Xhosa Living

During our stay in Coffee Bay on the Wilderness Coast we stayed in a Xhosa style hut.
An evening in a Xhosa VillageAn evening in a Xhosa Village
An evening in a Xhosa Village

There was dancing, food and home brewed beer, which was unusual, but not at all bad.
Third World SchoolingThird World Schooling
Third World Schooling

On our visit to Bulugha Farm School in Transkei the children performed a concert. I have rarely heard youngsters sing with such enthusiasm. Many showed signs of malnutrtion.
The Oribi GorgeThe Oribi Gorge
The Oribi Gorge

One of the many spectacular gorges in South Africa. This one is close to the coast, just south of Durban. The overhanging rock perch is more stable than it looks.
Road in Kwa Zulu NatalRoad in Kwa Zulu Natal
Road in Kwa Zulu Natal

While most of South Africa's roads are very good and generally quiet, inland they have a nasty tendency of disappearing.
Rorke's DriftRorke's Drift
Rorke's Drift

Near the scene of Michael Caine's greatest victory in the film 'Zulu'
Swazi Cultural VillageSwazi Cultural Village
Swazi Cultural Village

Christine with Alfred, the Head Man.
Tree House HomeTree House Home
Tree House Home

Our home for five days near Kruger National Park.
On SafariOn Safari
On Safari

Our transportation through the Kruger National Park.
Wild Life ViewingWild Life Viewing
Wild Life Viewing

Giraffe in the Park.
Blyde River CanyonBlyde River Canyon
Blyde River Canyon

The third largest canyon in the World.
Apartheid MuseumApartheid Museum
Apartheid Museum

The Museum in Johannesburg is a powerful exhibitiuon of the story of the struggle for emancipation


20th June 2007

Welcome home!
Nice to see you have got home safely from your safari. Lost your e-mail address, Chris, unless it's still the Trinity one? Mam has broken her foot and currently Shirley, Iris and I are taking it in turns to sleep overnight to help her in her ablutions - not much sleep received by us from the armchair (currently trying to catch up but not very successful). E-mailed Phillip but, as usual, no reply! Is Judith still off-line as I haven't yet received her new e-mail address as promised? I'll look forward to hearing from you when you have unpacked everything and settled back home. Love, Jan. xx

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb