Published: June 19th 2010June 19th 2010
Ok, quick update on my World Cup jolly to date...
- Staying in Soweto, the biggest township in the world
- Witnessed 2 muggings already. One late at night on another train platform and another in broad daylight in the local shopping centre.
- I carry little of value when walking but mainly get organised taxis everywhere
- One shooting occurred less than 500m from my tent last night
- Peeps are okish but don't really trust le crazy white folk
- Basically don't leave the backpackers unless we go to a game which we get to by organised bus. Fed and watered there and they have cable for all games.
- Prolly the most unsettling place I've ever been.
- The combined roughness of Grangetown, Moss Side, Aston, Toxteth, Tower Hamlets, Devonport, Maroubra and Dee Road does not even come close to how scary this place is.
- Gotta stay until 22nd as pre-paid my accomm. Keep those fingers crossed kids...