Cape St Francis


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
August 11th 2006
Published: August 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had 8 days remaining to get back to Cape Town so armed with road maps and accommodation guides we headed off towards the Garden Route. Our first stop was Cape St Francis. We went via Van Staden’s River Mouth where unfortunately there isn’t much to see as it’s a private holiday resort (currently a very empty one as it’s the middle of winter!) However, it was a very picturesque spot with lovely sand dunes so it may be worth returning to in the summer. We also stopped off at Jeffrey’s Bay, the surfing Mecca of South Africa. A few surfers were out braving the cold water but we watched from a safe distance rather than joining in!

Cape St Francis and St Francis Bay are very beautiful villages on the east coast, particularly St Francis Bay where all the houses are whitewashed with thatched roofs. We found a campsite in Cape St Francis right on the beach so we enjoyed a nice walk along the beach and Phil was in his element trying to get photographs of that perfect wave! (This hasn’t yet been accomplished apparently!) We wanted to go out on a boat from Port St Francis but unfortunately the weather was a bit too rough.

We had our first storm! Our tent coped very well under the circumstances but we didn’t have a great night’s sleep so this could be the end of camping for this part of the trip. We managed to pack up in the morning just before the heaven’s opened and headed for the Garden Route…


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

PhilPhil
Phil

A rare glimpse of the man behind the lens


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb