Port Elizabeth


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Port Elizabeth
April 28th 2009
Published: May 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Port Elizabeth was great! Stayed there for 4 nights. First night at Helicharter Backpackers but decided to leave since the place was virtually empty... =( Instead we walked down the street and found Kings Beach Backpackers. Awesome place, one of the cleanest we have come across!

The manager at KB is an amazing man called David. He took us for a township tour. A township is basically the slum, but the government are building new houses for the people living there so life quality is slowly improving. Went to this old lady that was taking care of the township kids who's parents can't afford school. David bought them crisps and they were delighted! A woman that lived in a tint house let us in - the misery! When it rains her house get flooded and water drips from the roof. Also met rasta man Mike who showed us his house and even woke up his son to show us how he lived. *haha*

But most of the time we spent on the beach. Getting some sun which was lovely! Two black guys came up to us and wanted to take pictures. Why? Because we were as white as the sand! *haha* Picked 'some' shells during a whole afternoon... 😉 Also visited The Boardwalk - a fantasy land really. Pretty place.

Even took one of the minibus taxis to town - only to discover everything was closed. Public holiday! The taxi rock though! Music pumping from the speakers. Great! =D

If you like crepes go to Tiffany's Tea Garden! They are delicious!!

Since we are heading towards Cape Town we booked ourselves tickets on the BazBus. R1100 p/p for a one way ticket with no time limit. Hop on hop off at as many places as you like, and the BazBus takes you from door to door, just book one day in advance and then tell them what hostel you want to go to! Soooo convenient!


Info:
Helicharter Backpackers dorm R90 p/p
Kings Beach Backpackers dorm R80 p/p
Minibustaxi R6 p/p


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



14th June 2009

Schoenies
Next time you are in PE come to Schoenies, its a lovely little village just ourside of Pe www.schoenies.co.za

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb