Growing trees


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day six: We had a lovely weekend in Port Elizabeth having a look around and we spent the most part drinking wine! Sunday was a chilled out day on the sofa, eating all our food which meant we had omelettes for dinner.

This morning we started in the plant nursery, filling up soil bags and planting tree trimmings in them. These will be cultivated here at the house and after a year or so, they will be planted either out in the reserve or in the nearby town to make it look nicer- at the moment it's a bit bare! Tin houses and sheds with nothing in-between.

We took lunch out with us and tracked the lions, we located them but didn't see them today. They were laid somewhere in the thickets keeping warm.

Another volunteer was supposed to start today but ended up cancelling! So me and Em are cooking again tonight. We are DREADING clearing out the cactus plants tomorrow! It's the only thing I hate doing here, the spikes are razor sharps and wearing gloves doesn't help much. It's all part of the conservation work we are doing here be we can't help but wish Tuesday mornings away!

Simon is going to take us to Addo elephant park on Friday, so we will get a chance to have a ride on one! We still have canoeing to do at some point this week as we didn't get a chance to on Friday- our truck broke down. We still managed to go feed some elephants in a nearby sanctuary, they did a little show for us and then we got to feed them pellets as a treat. (They consume nearly 200kg of food per day) Iv got so many good photos and I need to help Simon with the elephant ID project, but (typical me) Iv lost the black cable somewhere! I'll add photos to my posts when I can find it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb