Chasing Abdoulaye 2 of 2


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Matam Region » Matam
February 7th 2012
Published: April 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

fantastic voyagefantastic voyagefantastic voyage

...i bet he had rims...
noir quatre:

the next day, we head off knowing we shall finally reach Abdoulaye's...feeling already like pilgrims...as each day had become a bit more painful in various ways (all in all we ended up doing a 1,600 kilometer round trip! ...about 8 hours per day on the road for 7 days).

being done with absorbing bumps for absent shocks in local mini-buses, and after passing up several massive, wobbling intercity buses and other smaller types of moving metal, i sauntered over to a gas station to talk it up with the pump guys to see about hitchhiking around these parts...

as i did so, this bling suv rolls up. i nonchalantly prance over to the drivers window. a short exchange and me and samma jekker (my "husband") were piled into a cushy 4wheel crib. sped down about 100 kilometers....apparently, this Senegale guy picks up people all the time. nice pharmacist he was. good driver, he wasn't.

noir cinque:

arrive Abdoulaye.

reader, understand, each day of our pilgrimage, the terrain became more desert, the menu became less colorful. Lemon Yellow and Red Cherry Tomato and Green Watermelon and White Baobab crayolas were melting away...we were working
burst of E312?burst of E312?burst of E312?

the maker could not tell us how she got this vibrant color. but whatever, in the middle of days of yellow and sand, was a welcome sight.
our way down to just Pale Yellows: couscous, onions, potatoes and the occasional gift of Rusty Brown canned beans...

so i just had to start sneaking food when i could find it - but in a way as not to insult our hosts...so there i was, trying to hide the bulge of hazelnut Biskrem cookies and cashews...smuggling them into our sleeping quarters after having been served up by Abdoulaye's family a heartfelt special meal of cold watery rice with delicious peanut butter actually. noir nuts.

noir six:

at a family member's house where Abdoulaye was trying to make a good impression in order to marry the daughter, we agreed to drink some water which samma jekker realized after the pouring fact that it was from a bottle, but was not bottled water. he slowly sipped his while I slyly left mine on a couchside table. i was getting into noir behaviors...

as dusk came and was cool enough to walk and i was somewhat recuperated from three days of noiring it...we visited the school which Abdoulaye is building through his completely un-noir, very transparent association... http://soleygnol.com/...

...there are 3 walls of classrooms already, markers for
roof on toproof on toproof on top

...the treat...one of the last pieces needed to complete the school!
where the land ends, a water tap, two dugout shower areas...and as we walk, i think of next year when i would like to bring my brass choir here...part of the concept being to give concerts at the fancy toubab beach resorts, using the concert admission fees to finish Abdoulaye's school. a little stealing from the rich to give to the poor. noir sept.

and the biggest noir of all: G and i disguising ourselves as husband and wife the entire trip...

MORE FOTOS below (and one last blog on its way this week...)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

river liferiver life
river life

A demonstrating children's mud "toys" they make at the river
market kingmarket king
market king

by this point, we had become non-chalant market-goers. only disappointed to find out most of the onions on offer were shipped from holland!
the big noir :newlyweds?the big noir :newlyweds?
the big noir :newlyweds?

shotgun wedding we must have had....since i had no "husband" in september...not even a bf. but here, the truth is negotiable.


Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 17; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb