DIOHINE


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Kaolack Region » Kaolack
March 10th 2010
Published: March 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DIOHINE
Diohine is a village that could not be on a road map, because there is no road. The way there is 10 kilometers of paths through fields. It is a mystery to me that anyone can find it since there are many turns and few landmarks. The place chosen by USAID for an official visit is a model school: well-built, state of the art equipment (with internet access in the technology lab) an enthusiastic administration, very supportive community, kids who are doing well in national exams.

This middle school began by in 1 classroom. Until the community shows itself serious about getting a school, things go no further. They wanted the kids to have education without going away from home. The government added resources and USAID helped more. One of its greatest successes is with girls. They have taken a pledge not to marry before finishing the school (about age 15), to reduce early and arranged marriages and pregnancies. Interestingly, requiring school uniforms has helped greatly with their success.

There had been some problem (which was not explained) for which a group of village elders came in to do an exorcism ceremony, seen in the flag pole picture.

Going to this location and meeting these people showed that where we least expect it, where the odds seem dismal, the potential is still unlimited. Perhaps a third of the schools in Senegal have no electricity and others lie in pockets where the internet and cell phones are difficult or out of reach; this place is making things happen. The impetus had to begin from within. Someone had to see the light, ignite the spark, fan the flame by convincing others, and persevere. Excuses, delays, loss of hope, doubts, and all the rest must have come up again and again. Success was eventually theirs.

I was also uncertain if I thought that the expenses and efforts poured into one place was justifiable. Would it not be fairer to have many schools have a little instead of one with such good fortune? My personal conclusion was that they worked for and deserved what they achieved. They can and do serve as an example. The way has been paved so there is a pattern to follow (but not to duplicate exactly). Gotta reach for the stars. Even if you miss you may get to the moon.

TEACHER WORKSHOPS
For 3 days, at 3 locations, with 3 different groups of English teachers, I was part of the facilitating team. Again the dedication, appreciation for an opportunity, and the determination of women teachers to learn and improve in their professions touched me most. Having a small child to bring did not stop 2 women. There was a six month old, the other about 1½. Both nursed the child openly and often, sometimes to keep him or her quiet, took the little outside to change or calm him, but participated actively in the learning process.

Next I will be away for a few days to a remote community to do more training. Yeah! Many hours of travel to come.

PEANUT OIL
On the road we were able to visit a traditional peanut oil making area. There is a simple shelling machine that spits out shells into huge piles. Peanuts are grilled and pressed by hand (in this place you can see it took 3 people). Pure oil, ready for any turkey fryer, comes out. Factories run for months to process the bags of trucked in peanuts.

KAOLACK
Keeping track of news is important to me. I heard plenty about this year's weather. Too bad temperatures couldn't be shared. It is over 1000 in Kaolack every day. I have changed my activities around to avoid being out in the afternoon as much. It is making me do some less walking, unfortunately.

Time away is about halfway now so it won't be too long until I am back. Looking forward to that, but want to relish the opportunities here while I have them. This is the longest I have ever gone away from family. Being rather unsentimental that has not been too much of an issue. But maybe impatience with conditions is a sign that I may be missing home and what is familiar. Maybe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



10th March 2010

Time away... unsentimental?
Yanick, unsentimental??? Stop the madness! Say it isn't so! ;-) Miss you and love you! (maybe) P2

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb