Rwandan Genocide


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Before the huge genocide started, there was already tension between the ethnic groups: Hutus and Tutsis. When the Belgians took over Rwanda in 1916, they considered the Tutsis superior. That led to a better education, job, and etc. for them, which eventually caused hatred towards the Tutsis. When the country became independent, the Hutus took leadership and blamed the Tutsis for all the problems just like what Hitler did with the Jews.

The cause to the Rwandan genocide to actually start was due to the death of the president in Rwanda on April 6, 1994. He was a Hutu, and that made the people who were a Hutu believe that the Tutsis were responsible for the death of the president. That caused a huge conflict between the ethnic groups. Hours after the president was killed, Hutus soldiers and civilians were either forced or given a reward for killing as many Tutsis as possible. Basically, it was 100 days of slaughter, which totaled to about 800,000 Tutsis and a few Hutus killed during the genocide.

A key event that occurred was that media helped end this genocide and made RPF take leadership in Rwanda now (Tutsis led). In a short period, a lot of deaths had occurred and without the help of media, the genocide wouldn't have ended. This will highly help future generations avoid making the same event occur again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb