playing or praying


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Province de L'Ouest
February 7th 2010
Published: February 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

it's been a great weekend, i got up at the crack of dawn on saturday to get the bus to Lake Kivu in the west.... which is apparently one of the world's biggest lakes by volume or something like that. anyway we managed to get a bus at 8am and what a journey we had!!! Rwanda is named the land of a thousand hills and seemingly the east where i'm living doesn't host many of them and they're all in the west! the bus trip was 2 1/2 hours and over two of them hurterling round bends in a packed bus in the heat. Needless to say we felt pretty rough.... and thought it was only us until the guy next to me got out his towel and proceeded to be sick!!! never have i been so pleased not to have had any breakfast!
we eventually arrived in kibuye, a strange little town around the base of a hill with nothing on the hill. it is situated on the lake and so we spend the afternoon chilling on the rocks and cooling off in the water. went into town to get a late lunch early supper and found a buffet in town, available in pretty much any restaurant and will be rice, beans, cabbage, chips, and some hot sauce (the rest being cold having been out all day)! the place we went to was full of guys watching liverpool everton so we felt right at home. we ate out the back with a guy named frank or flank as he introduced himself. rwandans have a problem with the l and r sounds, because there is no distinction in their language and hence interchange the two - fortunately noone has come stuck when talking about the gorillas.
frank was a runner and made the national team running long distance having run a marathon in 6h30! ... we must have misunderstood somewhere along the way
The bus home was less eventful although we managed to sit next to the speakers and the music was turned up sooo loud i couldn't hear myself think! one of the classics being played was 'i'm a slave' - and that was the lyrics... what a song.
right i'm off home for another week's work - i'll be lucky!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb