Moving on....


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Province de L'Est
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

So i've had my last day in Rwamagana - geez six weeks has flown by. i've got quite used to my chilled lifestyle out here and now feel quite at home passing people i know as i walk into town (the Geography and Economics teacher -Jen; Delphine and her baby Obama; Sam the scrabble genius come carpenter; and not to mention all the staff from the 3 internet cafes!)

So what'll i miss.....:
getting up at 6am because let's face it i won't manage to maintain that at home despite my best intentions; endless card games (i'm easily pleased); chippatis at 10p....yummy; thinking it's ok to wear socks and sandals; the amusement on people's faceswhen i greet them in Kinyrwanda; potato diet and of course cykabare and readily prepared meals!
But i won't be sorry to not have to walk under the tree full of huge loud crows trying to avoid being shat on; nor will i miss being asked for this and that by everyone, assuming i have ehaps of money; i have to admit it will be nice not to be pointed at and noticed everywhere (although there's plenty more of that to come), oh and i'll soon be called Jessica instead of Jeska!

My work is now done with the vocational college - hopefully i'll have been some help despite not giving or finding them money as they expect of all volunteers, despite them trying their luck though, asking me to arrange to send old laptops to them, to send more volunteers, to act as Ambassadors for the project, Cykabare even wrote me a note in English asking for a goat! I'm being a bit harsh but it has frustrated me somewhat the whole atitude towards volunteers.

In their defence, they did take us all out for fanta and brochettes as a thank you; to which the headmaster provided the entertainment for the night. He is a hilarious character, mid 70s, lived and worked in Uganda, Rwanda and France (Clermont Ferrand of all places!), intelligent guy and the brains of the organisation, 17 kids who the others all joke he invoices for his expenses now, he rides a 'strong man' bicycle - strong man being the make whose logo is a muscley guy glexing his biceps!, he doesn't know how to cook and claims he mustn't learn because his wife needs to be better than him at something!!! (if it wasn't him that might drive me up the wall!) but above all he has the best laugh and a huge grin to go with it.

I've got a whole new project to come in Uganda in May so i'll be able to see if the work ethic is cultural it Africa of this organisation and if only to this organisation, ie they work 5 or even 3days in Uganda then hopefully i'll be able to attack with the knowledge i've gained here and make more progress.

Advertisement



3rd March 2010

: ) I like the baby Obama...I'd read on the news that that name had become popular but now I have proof. So if your next adventure starts in May where do you go until then?

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb