Electricity


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Province de L'Est
January 28th 2010
Published: January 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This week has been somewhat limited workwise due to a daily power cut, which we found out today has been scheduled for a month but unbeknown to us. The electricity goes off at 8am and comes back on at 5pm….pile poil the hours of a working day!! Today was hot…very hot and instead of staying in the shade like any normal person I decided I’d brave the sun and catch some rays - although Rwamagana is not exactly a holiday destination so no-one just lies in the sun.
Tuesday I went off to find a place at a local primary school for a young girl who has aids and whose schooling and care is being funded by a guy in the UK. Fortunately they do have a place and the hospital adjacent to the school has agreed to lodge and care for her during the term times. It is in a beautiful location on top of a hill overlooking Lake Muhazi (where we stopped for a fanta) - no need to rush things! The bar had chickens wandering around and I’m pretty sure one would have disappeared had we ordered chicken off the menu because food seems to take a long time out here. I had a goat brochette the other night and I swear they had time to kill, skin and cook a goat the time I waited! (not sure about the goat but am certain the chicken would be very fresh!)
We returned via the little girl’s house who, together with her younger brothers was soooo excited that she had a place at the school.
Wednesday I spent a fair bit of time in the bank whose computers were doing a grand job thanks to a reliable generator. I think France could learn something from rwanda about how to allow your customers to open a bank account quickly and easily and stress-free!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



31st January 2010

Heh, perfect coincidence to have the electricity be off during usual business hours. That's great you were able to find an opening for the little girl and it must have felt really great to be able to tell her. I love the image you painted of your experience in the bar and can't wait to see your photos...although if your worried about viruses don't rush it. My brother just lost photos somehow transferring them from his card to the computer...not worth the risk.
31st January 2010

will post photos as soon as i get home - don't really want to loose them xx

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.02s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb