Sossuvlei


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
October 20th 2006
Published: October 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Did you know that the highest sand dunes in the world are found in Namibia? Well neither did we until we started researching for our trip. Now that we have been there ourselves we can honestly say that they are truely awe inspiring. We didn't have our tape measure with us, so we can't confirm that they are the world's tallest, but we can say that the biggest one there is called Big Daddy!

So, it was 400km drive to get there, on dirt roads, in 30+ degree heat in a van with no air conditioning. It was a bit of an epic, but also through epic landscapes. Not many trees, that's for sure! Lots of rock and dry and grass, and, eventually, big red sand dunes. After setting up camp just out side of the start of the dunes we went to the nearest one to watch the sunset. It was incredible with the colours changing as much as at Uluru. Early to bed that night, ready to get up to see the sunrise the next morning.

Up at 5am and the bathrooms are still crowded! Seeing the sunrise from 'Dune 45' (they all have their own numbers) is a popular activity and we would be only one of a few groups there. We drove the 40kms to the dune and started climbing in the pre-dawn light. The sand was cold, and oh-so- soft and fine. Bad news for James' camera when it slipped out of his pocket! (The repair is yet to be affected. Lucky Karen has a camera too) The dune is 130m tall and the climb was tough, but we both made it to the top with the rest of our group in time to see the golden orb pop up over the horizon. I'll let the pictures tell the other few thousand words.

Once down from there it was time for breakfast that our guides had prepared then a short drive down the road to the start of a 5km walk through the dunes to Dead Vlei. The walk was over mostly flat ground, but with the soft and uneven sand it made it tough. There were also a few dunes to scramble up and down, which filled our shoes with sand. Dead Vlei is amazing. Again, the pictures do more than my words could. By the time we left it was starting to get very hot. We spent the afternoon in the pool or in the shade reading as the thermometer continued to climb. In the cool of the afternoon we made a trip to nearby Sesreim Canyon before dinner.

Today was the drive back to Windhoek, along roads so dusty it turned all of the groups hair white! We have had time to clean ourselves and our clothes and tomorrow it is off on another safari tour to Botswana and the Okavango Delta. Stay tuned!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Watching the sunriseWatching the sunrise
Watching the sunrise

Got up at 4.45am. Left the campsite at 5.15am. Climbed a 130 metre sand dune at 6.15am. Watched the sunrise. Magical? Yes. Sweaty and sandy? Also yes.
DeadVleiDeadVlei
DeadVlei

This used to be part of a riverbed until the sand dunes cut it off from the water source. The trees pictured here are about 900 years old.
The sand got everywhereThe sand got everywhere
The sand got everywhere

And I mean everywhere. Sand in places sand should not be.
And this is why.And this is why.
And this is why.

This is only a small dune. Yes, James did run down a 100 metre dune also.


25th October 2006

WOW
How wonderful - I am glad that you are having such an amazing time. It has been fun living vicariously as I write exams and reports!!! Lots of love and prayers Fiona -
29th October 2006

True! So true
Well, we did join Karen and James on both trips (Etosha and Sossuvlei) and we totaly agree. It was wonderfull. And the sand was everyware. Were now back in Holland and the sand is still comming out our bags. Have a nice trip guys and we will follow your jouney on this site! Thankx for the lovely time. Your first-class passengers.
30th October 2006

Thanks Guys!
Thanks for the comment guys. Glad you both made it home safely and hope you can get rid of all the sand while you're both adjusting to work again. See you soon. James and Karen.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb