WINDHOEK


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Windhoek
March 25th 2008
Published: April 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Windhoek in torrential thunderstorm, such a nice reprieve though from the humid and muggy weather in the Congo. From Brazzaville we went and flew to Pointe Noire with TAAG Angolan Airlines, the plane is new so we feel safe. Arriving early evening we took a taxi back to Cercle de naval hoping they would let us camp there again, Di talked to the powers that be and were allowed to sleep for the night at the gymnasium, it was airconditioned so it really was a relief. Dave and I watched Wonderland from my storage device and then went to bed. Spent most of the day just walking around town, nice to be in a familiar place again. That evening we all left the gym and checked in at a hotel next to the airport, no power no water but at least we got 2 rooms to spend the time waiting for our early morning flight, the owner came back and decided that we need more than 2 rooms but we dont have the budget for it, his staff agreed to our request earlier but he is adamant he wants to make more money so we left and took our business elsewhere, off to the terminal we are hoping to spend the night at the lounge despite Di being told earlier we cant and could get arrested, we chanced it and the armed guards welcomed us and led us to the waiting area terminal and we spend the night there killing time and checked in at 4am, Jen was on the waiting list, cant understand how they could screw that up she was the first to be confirmed when we booked in Brazza, anyhow after much protestation she got a seat and off we go. 6 hour wait at the Luanda airport, slept on the floor, watched movies from my stoage device , anything to keep us entertained. I heard some Filipinos talking at the terminal, looks like contract workers dont know where they are heading but was too tired to start up a conversation. Our flight was delayed by more than an hour but finally we are off, Dave and i was starving we asked the stewardess if we could have 2nd helpings of dinner, actually he had 3 servings!!Zoe was shocked at how we can eat so much airline food, but it was actually good edible food.

Reunited with our truck mates Marky took m shopping and bought some new gears and things, my imitation crocs finally!!! Had some vennison platter at this fine restaurant, kudu, gemsbok, oryx, delicious...
We are staying at the Cardboard Box Hostel in town really nice atmpsphere, nice to have that backpacker atmosphere once again, they have a small pool and a barbecue pit!!! Gorged some more steaks the next few days we are there, as it is Easter not much to do and shops close early but the city is quite nice to walk around. We learned Tony and Brian got robbed while they bush camp on the way back to Brazza, they tried to drive the truck to Pointe Noire but there we trucks stuck in very deep mudholes they decided to turn back after being stuck for 30 plus hours, hardly any water or food and being harrassed by locals. Anyway they are safe and back in Brazza and will fly sometime to meet us up in South Africa. Marky, Jo, me and Chrissy went to see I am Legend at the mall cinema, really scary!!!

The truck that picked us up at the airport is not much
LUNCH STOP SCENERYLUNCH STOP SCENERYLUNCH STOP SCENERY

NEAR KEETMANSHOOP
different from betsy but is only 2 wheel drive. We will drive and try to make it to the border in 3 days.

Left Windhoek heading south towards the South African border, camped for the night near a rail station, helped Mark cook as Zoe is under the weather. Middle of the night i woke up to a magnificently bright night sky, the moon just above us, illuminating the whole campsite, then got woken up later again by the zooming train.
Next day stopped at Keetmanshoop for gas and shopping for small things, just before the border we stopped and hid all veggies and fruits as it will be thrown out when we cross the border, bye bye namibia for now and hello South Africa.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 37; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb