Okavango Delta to Rainbow Camp, Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Rundu
October 18th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Okavango Delta to Rainbow Camp, Namibia

Leaving the Swamp Stop at the civilized hour of 7:30, we stopped at Choppies for groceries at Shakawe, crossed the border at Mohembo out of Botswana for the last time, and drove the short distance in Namibia to Rainbow Camp, near Popa Falls. This camp is located on the Okavango River and we camped on the river bank, right next to a sign that said 'Danger Crocodiles'. Shortly after erecting our tents, we are given the 'safety talk' and told the story of how the owners lost their dog to a crocodile not too long ago. OK, we get the warning.

We did some more hand washing and Kayla had a shower. About camp showers in Africa: they are usually outdoors, with some sort of reed enclosure with a thatch roof. Some, but not all, have hot water. Most of our campsites have had very clean ablution blocks and we are grateful to Gecko's for researching these for the comfort of their clients. Oh, and flush toilets. 

Today, Kayla was accompanied by a little gecko in her shower. If you don't like crawly things in your shower, don't take one. The spiders are huge! TIA - this is Africa. Her shower had a slow drain relative to the water flow from the shower head, and it wasn't long before she saw her sandals floating in the pool of water. Oh well, the sandals get washed with every shower anyway. That's the only way to have clean feet for any length of time.

More relaxing, rehydrating, and generally lounging about, either by the pool, or on the river bank. We know that tomorrow is a big day, and so are happy to sit around and read for the afternoon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb