Okavango Day 3


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Okavango Delta
October 18th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Okavango - Day 3

Ahhhhh! The luxury of a morning sleeping in while half the group went for a morning flight over the delta. We had done this last year, so opted out in favor of a later breakfast at 7:30. When everyone returned, we packed the gear back into the speedboats, minus heaps (we're learning Aussie speak) of bottled water that went in with us, and an hour and a half later arrived at the Swamp Stop Rest Camp at Sepupa. 

Swamp Stop is actually in a huge swamp that borders both sides of the Okavango River, complete with mosquitoes. But we are protected by Mossie spray, netting over the tent windows and daily malaria pills. These are much smaller than Canadian mosquitoes and harder to hear around your ears. So far we have not used the 3 Vets 95 percent Deet that we are carrying, just the local supermarket version and it seems to keep them away. The 95% stuff eats everything, so we are trying to avoid it, not to mention how poisonous it is for prolonged use.

Lunch, more hydration, laundry (which dries almost instantly in the desert heat) and generally relaxing for the hot afternoon. Most of our group lazed around the tiny swimming pool while we sat in the shade overlooking the river, reading. At 4:00 we were offered a 3-hour cruise once again on the river. Having cruised already this morning and yesterday in the hot sun, most opted out. We chose to go along with 2 others, as it was getting later in the day, and beginning to cool off. Saw a few small crocs and lots of birds, but mostly enjoyed the evening air that was very refreshing, and the red sunset.

Today was Canadian Thanksgiving, but with only 3 of us in our group from Canada, it passed almost without notice. Nevertheless, we devoured our African dinner of Botswana beef steaks, pap (maize meal), cabbage with peanut sauce, and a chunky, spicy tomato dish.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb